Juvenile beardie refuses to eat, getting skinny. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't know about the beef, maybe just a tiny bit. He will eventually go for the crickets but in the mean time get a tub of small [ mini ] mealworms and offer him some freshly shed ones. That can at least get him interested in live food. And see if your pet store sells Phoenix or calci worms [ bsfl ] If not you can order some online, they are very healthy + most beardies love them.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":22qhpl7m said:
I don't know about the beef, maybe just a tiny bit. He will eventually go for the crickets but in the mean time get a tub of small [ mini ] mealworms and offer him some freshly shed ones. That can at least get him interested in live food. And see if your pet store sells Phoenix or calci worms [ bsfl ] If not you can order some online, they are very healthy + most beardies love them.

How should I give him the worms? Do I just put them in the bin I have him in? Should i use a worm dish? I keep feeling like I’m doing something wrong and that’s why he’s not eating.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His problem goes back to not having uvb, he does not feel well enough to have developed a good appetite or activity level. But worms can spark their appetite. You can put a few in a small shallow bowl or just drop 1-2 near him.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1bt8bsmm said:
His problem goes back to not having uvb, he does not feel well enough to have developed a good appetite or activity level. But worms can spark their appetite. You can put a few in a small shallow bowl or just drop 1-2 near him.

I’ve dropped a couple mealworms near him and he just ignores them. I’m just going to have to be patient. ? In the meantime, it’s like I have another baby in my house, hand feeding him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're doing a good job so far and at least he has uvb and is getting nutrients + hydration in him. :) You are being patient so just keep it up, offer the insects once or twice a day and he'll get his appetite back.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like you are doing a great job with him. He will hopefully start eating on his own
soon. Sometimes it really takes awhile for them to improve, but you just have to be patient
with him.
He is definitely a cutie pie. :D I hope he starts to do better & gains some weight.

Tracie

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Good morning!

Just a little update. Pathfinder still is not eating on his own. I did buy the Fluker’s repta boost and was advised by their customer service rep to do a dose 3-4 times a day.

Have a good day everyone!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good, just mix a bit in with his baby food meals. Keep trying the insects every day though, put him on the floor of his tank + drop one near him at least once a day or every other day.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Good morning everyone!

Here is the most recent picture of my beardie after some repta boost and chicken baby food.

106536-3282626602.jpg

I also had a question on making a slurry. I was advised to do this from a petco associate who owns beardies. She said to mix some baby food, veggies and insects in the blender. Is this a better option than just plain baby food?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can do either option. Baby food is convenient, but if you want to make your own slurries in a blender you definitely can.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, making a slurry as described is a great idea. You just have to have a blender that would be only for the beardie , not for your own use since you'll be putting insects in it.

The baby still looks good, and is such a pretty one. :) He's not growing as quickly as he should of course but he has a lot of time to catch up.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update:

I’ve made a slurry with baby food, and insects. I also put calcium in it. He’s been eating it for the past 2-3 days. At first he weighed 8.3g, now he weighs 10.3g. He still isn’t eating live food, but other than that, he’s looking better and more active.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
On the right track.

Regards giving worms :
What I do with poor feeders ( sick , injured ) with BSFL is I take 6 large BSFL out at a time ( place in a tiny tub ) then snip off 1mm or 2mm at their "pointy end" , squeeze and some of the meat will come , give the dragon a taste / sniff , might be enough to get him interested.
Can even squeeze all the meat out between the finger tips , discard the outer skin , deposit the meat on the lips or snout of the dragon , nothing hard or resistive to eat, just slow and tedious and a bit mucky.
I you have mealworms handy, snip off their head ( about 4mm ) and squeeze out the meat , not met a lizard who doesn't like mealworms. They like mealworm pupae even more . same deal with pupae.

Sometimes a good starter is to mix one mealworm lavae or pupae's meat with 3 or 4 bsfl 's meat.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":1xq99liq said:
On the right track.

Regards giving worms :
What I do with poor feeders ( sick , injured ) with BSFL is I take 6 large BSFL out at a time ( place in a tiny tub ) then snip off 1mm or 2mm at their "pointy end" , squeeze and some of the meat will come , give the dragon a taste / sniff , might be enough to get him interested.
Can even squeeze all the meat out between the finger tips , discard the outer skin , deposit the meat on the lips or snout of the dragon , nothing hard or resistive to eat, just slow and tedious and a bit mucky.
I you have mealworms handy, snip off their head ( about 4mm ) and squeeze out the meat , not meat a lizard who doesn't like mealworms. They like mealworm pupae even more . same deal with pupae.

Sometime a good started is to mix one mealworm lavae or pupae's meat with 3 or 4 bsfl 's meat.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww! But does seem like it would be very effective! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom