How Long Should Beardies Be Under UVB?

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

How Long Should Beardies Be Under UVB?

Postby Selkie1993 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi everyone!

For my tank setup and Drogon’s previous conditions, please see my previous post.

In the past, Drogon used to like sitting in his hammock under both the UVB (reptisun 10.0 t8, working on getting a stronger bulb and hood) and heat lamp (zoo med 100 watts). Nothing has changed except he’s eating more, but prefers to sit on his rock structure which doesnt have as much UVB exposure.

Im worried that he will get MBD by not getting enough UVB. How long do beardies like to sit under their UV? [img][XIMG]106408%207690423135[/XIMG][/img]

Does he know when to get UV and when its time to move on?

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: How Long Should Beardies Be Under UVB?

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:02 pm

I don't think there is a set amount. As long as they have it available and easily accessible they know what to do. My adult dragon sometimes prefers basking under his heat only lamp rather than in one of his heat and UVB spots. He will sometimes switch between them during the day, sometimes ignore the UVB completely for a couple of days. Just provide good variety/choices and they'll pick up what they need.
CooperDragon

Postby Selkie1993 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:12 pm

Awesome :)

I wish I could take him outside for natural UV, but I live in South Carolina within an apartment complex. They spray like crazy during the buggy season. We also have hawks along with other big predatory birds. Plus, it's starting to get cold, it can be humid some days, so I'd prefer for him to stay inside, at least for now.

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:51 am

Selkie1993 wrote:Does he know when to get UV and when its time to move on?

Pretty much. (+1 to what CooperDragon said)
BDs can see into the UV spectrum, and their parietal eye helps them decide where they want to be.

Here's an article on Bearded Dragon vision.

FWIW, when the weather turns clement again, some folks are using outdoor enclosures. There are a couple of types shown in this thread.
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Selkie1993 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:01 pm

MrSpectrum wrote:
Selkie1993 wrote:Does he know when to get UV and when its time to move on?

Pretty much. (+1 to what CooperDragon said)
BDs can see into the UV spectrum, and their parietal eye helps them decide where they want to be.

Here's an article on Bearded Dragon vision.

FWIW, when the weather turns clement again, some folks are using outdoor enclosures. There are a couple of types shown in this thread.

Sounds awesome :) Thanks for the info!

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior