NEW OWNER- need helpful tips (:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I just bought my beardie only 2 days ago he’s about 6 wks old (5in long) and he won’t eat his crickets or veggies, I don’t give him mealworms bc he’s is to small, but I bought red worms bc they were recommended to me. His name is Lebron James (don’t ask why lol) and I also have calcium powder uv light basking light and a nocturnal light he is in a 10gal terrarium with his water and food bowl, I’m extremely worried bc he doesn’t have a rounded belly and looks a little on the smaller side. Can someone help give tips on how to get him to eat ???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First of all hes going thru relocation stress -- second please get rid of the nocturnal bulb-- I am assuming its a colored bulb --- ditch it- it can cause eye damage and long term eye damage -- they need complete darkness to get a good nites sleep-- the 10 gallon aquarium will not last long and I mean not long at all - I would consider upgrading to the biggest tank you can afford --- recommended size is a 75 -120 gallon for a full grown dragon--- something to keep in mind --- he should be eating something --- you need to offer salad first thing in the morning here is a website for nutrition-
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--- then add some small super worms if you can get them like 3 on top and some BSFL here is a website for these https://symtonbsf.com/ put them in a bowl the worms cannot get out of --- add them so he can see you do this -- the movement will get him to the bowl --- you can use as many as you want as they are a good staple feeder --- then after about 30 minutes or so feed him his staple feeder - crickets you will haft to disable them so they cant jump out of bowl or I recommend dubia roaches -- they are the easiest -- here is some info on those
Dubias
• Wide range of sizes
• Long life span
• Excellent nutrition
• Easy to digest
• High in protein
Convenient for you
• Odorless and soundless
• Will not infest your home
• Can be stored out of sight
• Easy to care for
• Cannot jump, fly or climb•
What are you using for a uv light basking light? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe?
Karrie

Lizzierenai

Original Poster
KarrieRee":247f7jou said:
First of all hes going thru relocation stress -- second please get rid of the nocturnal bulb-- I am assuming its a colored bulb --- ditch it- it can cause eye damage and long term eye damage -- they need complete darkness to get a good nites sleep-- the 10 gallon aquarium will not last long and I mean not long at all - I would consider upgrading to the biggest tank you can afford --- recommended size is a 75 -120 gallon for a full grown dragon--- something to keep in mind --- he should be eating something --- you need to offer salad first thing in the morning here is a website for nutrition-
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--- then add some small super worms if you can get them like 3 on top and some BSFL here is a website for these https://symtonbsf.com/ put them in a bowl the worms cannot get out of --- add them so he can see you do this -- the movement will get him to the bowl --- you can use as many as you want as they are a good staple feeder --- then after about 30 minutes or so feed him his staple feeder - crickets you will haft to disable them so they cant jump out of bowl or I recommend dubia roaches -- they are the easiest -- here is some info on those
Dubias
• Wide range of sizes
• Long life span
• Excellent nutrition
• Easy to digest
• High in protein
Convenient for you
• Odorless and soundless
• Will not infest your home
• Can be stored out of sight
• Easy to care for
• Cannot jump, fly or climb•
What are you using for a uv light basking light? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe?
Karrie

I don’t know how to properly reply, but thank you so much for the advice!!!!! I tossed out the bulb, I also got a 20gal tank to hold him over while I save up for a bigger one, for the lights I have Repti Basking lamp and then I have a uvb light Im not sure of the brand bc it came with the terrarium, as well as a stick on thermostat. I also most him and veggies and the terrarium once a day with room temp water. I’m really trying to be a good beardie mom I’m just super new and everything that petsmart has told me so far has been wrong. He is only 5in do I need to cut up the roaches ?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Lizzierenai":2li0oatj said:
I don’t know how to properly reply, but thank you so much for the advice!!!!! I tossed out the bulb, I also got a 20gal tank to hold him over while I save up for a bigger one, for the lights I have Repti Basking lamp and then I have a uvb light Im not sure of the brand bc it came with the terrarium, as well as a stick on thermostat. I also most him and veggies and the terrarium once a day with room temp water. I’m really trying to be a good beardie mom I’m just super new and everything that petsmart has told me so far has been wrong. He is only 5in do I need to cut up the roaches ?
"moisten"? :?

I also have a recently obtained baby (6 weeks). I spray the veggies (which he is yet to touch, sample, or show any interest in, despite trying all the "tricks") and one wall of his tub (see below) once per day with distilled water. They're all different, so veggies may take some time, but my guy loves the Dubias. You do not need to cut them up, and probably shouldn't; BDs are hunters, so like to catch their meals like Gollum--"live and wrrriggling." Dubias come in several sizes. For our size (babies) start with the smallest, and work your way up as he grows. The general rule of thumb is feed them anything that's as long or shorter than the distance between their eyes.

I also recently came across a (better) explanation/rule of thumb for enclosure size, but didn't bookmark it :oops: , so I'm looking for it again. Length should be at least 2x length of dragon (including tail). Depth and height should be 1x length of dragon. This would make the ideal size 4'L x2'D x 2'H. Much easier (IMO) to understand than gallons. Another source I just read recommended an enclosure length of 3x length of dragon.
FWIW, I'm building mine 5'L x 2' x 2'. He's currently in a 66 Qt. Sterilite tub ($8)--which falls well within the above criteria--until the permanent enclosure is finished.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please do not listen to a thing PetSmart tells you!!!!!!!!!!! Those people have killed more dragons than we can count --- so its good you have moved him into a bigger tank but the 20 gallon wont last long either --- I am going to post a pic of a 20 gallon I had for a little while and show you how I set it up --- I will explain the lights etc..................
97951-9562450009.jpg
Ok so the long fixture is a Reptisun T 8 UVB going width wise across the tank --- it is about 8 inches or so from basking----- the fixture on the end by the UVB is a 75 watt bright white basking bulb-- it is clamped onto the end of the tank -- the fixture hanging over the tank on the opposite end is a CHE heat emitter I only used it for a couple of days since Blaze was so young I kept his tank at nite a little warmer -- good to have on hand especially for winter months and if they get sick----- so you can use paper towels for a substrate for now --- please get a digital probe thermometer from Petsmart for around $5-- also pick up a Infrared heat gun from you local home improvement store for around $10-12 -- you will need both and will constantly use them --- right now you need to get a accurate basking temp in that tank ---- you dont want to over cook him and you want correct basking temps for him to digest his food --- remember the lighting in the tank is the most crucial thing in that tank ---- you want basking temps around 105-110 and cool side of tank around 80 during the day and not below 65 at nite ----
I would start checking out Craigslist and FB marketwatch for reptile tanks -- see if you can find one that has front doors they are the best for taking care of the dragon etc............ if you find one you can move him as soon as you get it --- just make sure you disinfect it really good before putting your baby in it ---- please ask if you have any more questions---- if they gave you a coil UVB that looks like this https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptisun-100-uvb-compact/dp/126581?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-5Kd2Pbf5QIVF4iGCh2riQOsEAQYAyABEgJ55vD_BwE they are NO good ---- so it would be a good time to invest in the Reptisun tube I showed in my picture
Karrie

Lizzierenai

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1n7d7swa said:
Please do not listen to a thing PetSmart tells you!!!!!!!!!!! Those people have killed more dragons than we can count --- so its good you have moved him into a bigger tank but the 20 gallon wont last long either --- I am going to post a pic of a 20 gallon I had for a little while and show you how I set it up --- I will explain the lights etc..................
97951-9562450009.jpg
Ok so the long fixture is a Reptisun T 8 UVB going width wise across the tank --- it is about 8 inches or so from basking----- the fixture on the end by the UVB is a 100 watt bright white basking bulb-- it is clamped onto the end of the tank -- the fixture hanging over the tank on the opposite end is a CHE heat emitter I only used it for a couple of days since Blaze was so young I kept his tank at nite a little warmer -- good to have on hand especially for winter months and if they get sick----- so you can use paper towels for a substrate for now --- please get a digital probe thermometer from Petsmart for around $5-- also pick up a Infrared heat gun from you local home improvement store for around $10-12 -- you will need both and will constantly use them --- right now you need to get a accurate basking temp in that tank ---- you dont want to over cook him and you want correct basking temps for him to digest his food --- remember the lighting in the tank is the most crucial thing in that tank ---- you want basking temps around 105-110 and cool side of tank around 80 during the day and not below 65 at nite ----
I would start checking out Craigslist and FB marketwatch for reptile tanks -- see if you can find one that has front doors they are the best for taking care of the dragon etc............ if you find one you can move him as soon as you get it --- just make sure you disinfect it really good before putting your baby in it ---- please ask if you have any more questions---- if they gave you a coil UVB that looks like this https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptisun-100-uvb-compact/dp/126581?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Zoo%20Med&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-5Kd2Pbf5QIVF4iGCh2riQOsEAQYAyABEgJ55vD_BwE they are NO good ---- so it would be a good time to invest in the Reptisun tube I showed in my picture
Karrie

Thank you so much !!!!!! Sooo much help !!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
your welcome ---- I edited the basking bulb it was a 75 watt not 100
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom