Adopting 2 Bearded Dragons???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drag0nGirl

So I know this is usually a horrible idea, especially with males, but there are two beardies that have taken my heart but the shelter wants them to be adopted together. They are brothers and have been together for their entire life. They are a little over a year old, and there has not been a problem so far. I was thinking of getting them a terrarium that is 35" long, 17" wide, 35"tall, and making it two floors. The top floor with their lamps, and the bottom shelf with a heating mat under the slate tile. So they can have their own private time/area. Worst-case scenario I do have a backup a terrarium to move one to should they fight. Should I bother doing this at all? I don't want them to be unhappy by separating them, but I don't want them to attack one another and possibly hurt or kill one another. I just want the opinion of other beardies owners if I should adopt these two or not.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Adopting both sounds good but a 35 gallon tank is not gonna big big enough for either of them - you would need two set ups I recommend not keeping them together they will fight as they are both males and one will end up dead----- the rescue people should know this ------ you would need the smallest to be a 40 gallon for both ---- or get one huge tank and divide it but even then I would not recommend it - some others on here would have some ideas for you --- but keeping two males together no way
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Adopting 2 dragons will be a happy chore, to say the least.
I could not recommend that you house them together as dragons are solitary creatures. They will, sometimes tolerate another dragon but, only for a while in most cases and rarely for long periods. They might be getting along fine right now but, it could change in an instant. Slight changes in their environment can trigger hostility in some dragons and, it can turn brutal if not deadly.
So what I am saying is, you will need 2 separate setups ready for them when you bring them home.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":dfwxknew said:
....get one huge tank and divide it but even then I would not recommend it - some others on here would have some ideas for you --- but keeping two males together no way
Karrie
Well, that kinda shoots my idea. While I totally agree with not trying to house 2 males together*, when exploring enclosure ideas, I designed an 8'x2'x2' with an optional/removable full-size divider, so it could become 3' & 5', 3½' & 4½', or 4' & 4'.

I believe claudiusx recently built a double (stacked) 4'x2'x2'; you can read about it here.
There are many other good ideas in the Enclosures and DIY forums.

If DIY isn't practicable for you, some of the custom enclosure builders can/will modify their designs to fit your needs.

*While they may have been fine up to this point, once you change the habitat, all bets are off--one or both of them may decide this new turf is theirs to claim & dominate.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you have bearded dragon experience already?

If so, and you are willing, adopting both is fine, but I would suggest separating them still.
It really would be in their best interests in the long run IMO.

Let us know what you decide! :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom