Basking light regualr bulb or halogen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aronoiiel

Which one is better and what wattage is ideal? Right now I have a Thrive 150watt and its got that yellow tint. I have noticed that my little one seems to be having vision issues already and I am worried its the bulb. I have tried searching all kinds of ways on the forum but I cant lovk down what time of bulb would be best thst doesnt have that yellowish tint. I see a few seem to use flood lights but idk how that would do in a 40 gal tank? My apt stays pretty cool for my husky so its been a bit of a challenge maintaining temps in the tank. I still cant get it up to 105 after a week of having it up. Was hoping a different bulb would help?

Here is the set up and yes I am getting a reptisun t8 to mount inside the tank for the little one. It will be here early next week. Stores here were out -_-
60731-1205851967.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of vision issues ---? Can you post some pics of him --- we need to see if its a normal behavior and your panicking for nothing -- I think as long as the light is pointing straight down and not side ways he should be ok--- but some others can weigh in on this as well
Karrie

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Yeah I can post pics im at work now so when I get home i will do so. What pics would be best? He/she was doung well snatching bugs but now seems to have trouble catching them like its hard to see them. And when I take them out to relax on the couch or take a bath he/she kind teitches their head. Like you know when you go through a tunnel that has say holes in the top and your eyes kind freak out from the change as you drive through it? Thats how their head moves. Kind jerky but my lights when i walk with them are the same through the apt. Idk if that makes much sense. She/he didnt do this when i got them a week ago kta deffinitely new. And she/he has been closing eyes while basking alot the last couple days. From my searches here I assumed it was the light?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Post pics of him and his eyes -- and if you can record the jerky movements too - maybe on you tube and then post the link--- what is the distance of the UVB/ basking bulb ?
Karrie

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Ok here are the eyes. The basking light is 5 inches from the top of the tree pumpkin basks in though she/he stays at about 7 inches away. Pumkin only gets up to the top right after eating. Thenscootches down. But the probe still only puts it at 97. Idk how to get my temps higher tbh. This is the second bulb im trying. He/she basked well the first few days gaped and seemed happy.That was with the 100watt that kept temps at 80 basking side. With the 150watt pumkin isnt gaping and closes one eyes (the left one) while basking. And while resting on me. Its concerning me.

The uvb is about 10inches from the green hammock but tbh pumpkin rarely goes to the cool side when awake.

Here is a little video: https://youtu.be/Ujur6Oc_dmA

though now that I see it on here I think im freaking out. That jerk is maybe pumkin adjusting to moving? Never had a lizard before i forget they have to move their whole head to follow things.

I mean pumkin does it when on my shirt and walking but no when we are sitting and relaxing. Ah im so sorey for all the questions. I shouldnt be so nervous I have learned alot feom all the good info everyone here has put out!
Right eye
60731-5661820625.jpg
Left Eye
60731-2348751356.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He looks perfectly normal eye look good and clear ---- the turning of the head is normal he is really attentive to whats going on around him--- dont be concerned and the closing of the one eye when basking is normal as well --- the basking temps do need to be higher tho -- they should be 105-110 for a baby --- post pics of his tank and we can go from there on how to get that temp higher ---
Karrie

aronoiiel

Original Poster
That is a big relief thank you so so much! I wqs reading a thread about a beardie baskkng with eyes closed and go confused with it saying thr light was hurting the eyes.
60731-4666538495.jpg
Its only my second pet, I never had any growing up, next to my dog lol. Its a learning curve and of course off the info I researched the last year flew out of my brain when anxiety took over. Ok this is my current set up.

40gal Thrive (petsmarts new brand) 36x18x18
Basking bulb-150watt Thrive (at the tip of the tree it getts to 97 to 100 according to my probe)
Uvb-100watt Thrive (I have a reptisun T8 will be here thur and will be mounted in the lid)
CHE for night temps which stay at 75 to 77 (my house gets into the low 60s or high 50s at night. Husky cant tolerate heat due to medical things)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am assuming it is a coil in one of those domes? And good I am glad your getting the T 8 --- when it comes it needs to be 6-8 inches from basking spot---- if you need help mounting it please ask we can help w/ some ideas of how to get it hung -- which side is the basking side temps do need to be higher for your baby --- I dont know which decor your using for the basking side but if you move decor around so that you can get his basking temp up would be good --
Karrie

aronoiiel

Original Poster
60731-5606616745.jpg
Ok thank you. The basking is the right side I will maybe have to shift the tree then cause its top is 5inches from the basking light on top of the screen. This is a closer look at what pumpkin is basking on. They had one in the enclosure i got him/her from so figured it would be comfortable and familiar. The hammocks arent used much. So should I not worry about changing the bulb again? This is my second since the 100 watt wasnt even getting the high point pf the tree out of the 80s. The rest of the tank stayed low 70s. Thats why i switched to the 150. I just wamt to be sure food is being digested ok though poops are good and increased to two a day now instead of once late at night. Im assuming thats good.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes and you dont want undigested food and you will see it in the poop -- you want formed moist dark w/ white formed moist -- no chalky or dry - that means hes dehydrated --
Karrie

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Poop is ok then good so digestion is good. No bugs or salad in it. I have searched ALOT of poop pictures to be sure what I am looking for as to when a problem is present. One thing I learned with my dog is poop tells you everything. At least animal lovers understand why I am obsessed with poop ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can use velcro, 3m command hooks, or even suspend it from the mesh with some wires or zip ties. :)

-Brandon

aronoiiel

Original Poster
60731-2482280885.jpg
Ok new pictures! I got the t8 mounted but idk if its to close? My meaduring tape says the part pumpkin sits on is 6inch from the t8. But the very top of the tree under the basking light is 4.5inches. Is it to close? Tbh I only got this bonzai because they had a small one my little one looooved to bask on at the store and I wanted to reduce the move stress. Right now pumpkin seems to be basking quote happily in the new set up. So is this ok for now?
60731-9131101882.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom