My beardie is underweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquilist

Hello!
7 months ago I got Popcorn, who I LOVE :blob5:
However, he(??) still seems to be quite small. He's grown tonnes since the 10cm little guy we got.
He is now 8 months old, very active, big appetite.
He's fed around 20 medium roaches dusted in calcium D3 every day, and gets around 10 calci-worms each morning.
He's fed a small bowl of greens every few days in the morning, which he usually doesn't finish.

Basking spot - 42 Celcius
UVB is around 45cm from ground, 10cm from a branched basking spot which he uses frequently.

He is currently around 15-17 inches, but only weighs 250g?
It doesn't make much sense. Lengthwise, he grows quickly, but he is still scrawny. He has a thick tail, which isn't skinny or squishy in any sense, but his body and legs are quite thin.

Apologies for the low-quality photos. They were taken with my computer's webcam.
Also in the 2nd photo, he looks like he isn't holding himself up properly. He typically lifts himself up fine, especially when basking, so I think he's just resting and doesn't have MBD. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
104125-6602168605.jpg
104125-9758527241.jpg
104125-1553114285.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Since you are in Australia, can you get Popcorn out in the sun daily or at least a few
times per week for some good UVB.
He looks nice, has great colors but does look a little on the thin side, not bad.
Which type & brand of UVB do you have?
What brand is the calcium with D3 that you use? Do you use the powder, once daily on
only one of his meals?
Please post a picture of your tank setup so we can see the lighting placement, etc in his
tank. He could be developing metabolic bone disease if he doesn't have a strong enough
UVB. If he isn't fully supporting himself then that is many times an early indicator of bone
issues.

Tracie

Aquilist

Original Poster
Drache613":nm86qj4x said:
Hello,

Since you are in Australia, can you get Popcorn out in the sun daily or at least a few
times per week for some good UVB.
He looks nice, has great colors but does look a little on the thin side, not bad.
Which type & brand of UVB do you have?
What brand is the calcium with D3 that you use? Do you use the powder, once daily on
only one of his meals?
Please post a picture of your tank setup so we can see the lighting placement, etc in his
tank. He could be developing metabolic bone disease if he doesn't have a strong enough
UVB. If he isn't fully supporting himself then that is many times an early indicator of bone
issues.

Tracie

Hello, thanks so much :D
the calcium isn't specifically branded, just labelled "Ultimate Calcium," it is manufactured of natural oyster shell, with added vitamin D3. It is phosphorus-free. It is a powder, that I coat all of his roaches every day.
I don't k\know the exact brand of uvb either, it is due for soon replacement, but it is from my local reptile store. It is a tube light, 10.0.

I will be taking him outside frequently once the weather warms up. As I am in southern aus, it's kinda cold, rainy and miserable right now. But over summer it will be very clear and sunny.

Here is a photo - the tank is a 4x2x2 foot, with a 2foot tube UVB. (Also about the decor, I know they're not from the rainforest, but he doesn't know that and as far as temps and parameters go, it's practically a desert :lol: )
Again, sorry for bad quality - phones stuffed.
104125-2655337192.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He's fine.

250g at 8 months old is OK., he's trim but in good condition (nice thick full base of tail) and he has a great appetite.
By comparison my Caesar ( currently in shed , and the same approx. age is 194g and only gained 1g this week , yep a bit grumpy and off his tucker a bit ) , and is typically polishing 30 to 40 large BSFL per day and up to 8 med to large crickets ,and refuses his greens completely.
His sister Cleo is only 80g but after a several weeks of little gain , is now having a growth spurt after shedding last week.

I'm having a break from raising silkworms til after xmas , too hard to find fresh mulberry leaves and I'm too busy with the 3 water skinks, 2 bt skinks , 2 beardies and managing home renovations / improvements and a major garden landscaping redo .
I think Caesar might be missing his silkworms as he's been not so interested in the BSFL lately, eats them under sufferance.

Yep if it's safe where you are , some natural sunshine wont go astray. Too many free roaming cats around my place and too many kookaburras and magpies for me to risk it with gang.

Been a wintery in Victoria from what I've heard , while it's been very windy, hazy / dusty and smokey , hot here but no fires near my place , in for a scorcher over the next week if the 7 weather guy is right. Coastal Hunter Valley.

Hell, what is it with the crazy weather this year, mid November there is still snow falling in parts of Victoria and the Sthern H/lands.... and heatwaves and duststorms , and worst most out of control bushfires only a few hundred km north.

Only real changes I'd make is move the uv closer to the basking spot and replace the carpet with tiles or lino.
Is it a t8 linear UVB tube or a t5 linear UVB tube ?
what brand is it ?
what is it's uvb rating ?

MCHRKiller

Hatchling Member
I think he is fine...he has ample body fat in his tail and head. Most beardies in the hobby are obese...which is far more unhealthy than your guy. I would if anything maybe add a few extra feeders per week but personally I would rather see a trim reptile than one so obese it can barely move.

Aquilist

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":z5dg8aey said:
He's fine.

250g at 8 months old is OK., he's trim but in good condition (nice thick full base of tail) and he has a great appetite.
By comparison my Caesar ( currently in shed , and the same approx. age is 194g and only gained 1g this week , yep a bit grumpy and off his tucker a bit ) , and is typically polishing 30 to 40 large BSFL per day and up to 8 med to large crickets ,and refuses his greens completely.
His sister Cleo is only 80g but after a several weeks of little gain , is now having a growth spurt after shedding last week.

I'm having a break from raising silkworms til after xmas , too hard to find fresh mulberry leaves and I'm too busy with the 3 water skinks, 2 bt skinks , 2 beardies and managing home renovations / improvements and a major garden landscaping redo .
I think Caesar might be missing his silkworms as he's been not so interested in the BSFL lately, eats them under sufferance.

Yep if it's safe where you are , some natural sunshine wont go astray. Too many free roaming cats around my place and too many kookaburras and magpies for me to risk it with gang.

Been a wintery in Victoria from what I've heard , while it's been very windy, hazy / dusty and smokey , hot here but no fires near my place , in for a scorcher over the next week if the 7 weather guy is right. Coastal Hunter Valley.

Hell, what is it with the crazy weather this year, mid November there is still snow falling in parts of Victoria and the Sthern H/lands.... and heatwaves and duststorms , and worst most out of control bushfires only a few hundred km north.

Only real changes I'd make is move the uv closer to the basking spot and replace the carpet with tiles or lino.
what brand is it ?

Ok, I just checked the bulb, not sure if it's a T5, or a T8, but judging by the thickness I'm assuming T8.
It is a SparkZoo 18W 10.0.
Not sure of the rating.

Yeah, the weather is crazy! It was like 35 Celcius last week, and now it's around 11 degrees max daily.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Aquilist":2v1m1svr said:
kingofnobbys":2v1m1svr said:
He's fine.

what brand is it ?

Ok, I just checked the bulb, not sure if it's a T5, or a T8, but judging by the thickness I'm assuming T8.
Not sure of the rating.

If it's a t8 tube , it's way too far away even if it's in a reflector hood and rated at 10% UVB.
The dragon wont be getting nearly enough UVA and UVB.
Plus
<<<< It's a very poor quality brand, my advise is replace it immediately with either
an Exo Terra 18W 10%UVB
or
an Zoo Med 18W 10%UVB
or even better
Arcadia have an 18W T8 12%UVB.

Setting up correct UV
How-to-read-the-graph-for-p.png

The basking spot needs to be about 15cm from a T8 12%UVB tube in a reflector hood to ensure the dragon gets sufficient UVA & UVB.

These junk brands like SparkZoo are cheap and very nasty and very poorly made , nearly always have very poor quality quartz in the tubes and secondrate phosphors inside them all of which means
> they leak UVC through micro-fissures and poor thickness control when the tubes are excuded from molten poor quality quartz (BAD !!!)
> they have very poor quality UV spectrums
> they degrade / their phosphors decay much faster
> often they are leak air in which means they die unexpectedly

Better off spending some extra $ to invest in the best quality UV source you get your hands on, in UV sources it's very much worth the extra you have to pay to get top quality branded UV sources like Arcadia Reptile or Exo Terra or Zoo Med ( only ones you should consider as all others are elcheapo shopbranded clones made on the cheap ) , and while you are at , upgrading to a T5ho reflector hood , I'd recommend one suitable for a 24W T5ho tube , and invest in an Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB 24W tube. Your dragon will thrive under one of these ( aim for the basking spot to be about 30cm from the new t5ho 12%UVB tube.
Yeah, the weather is crazy! It was like 35 Celcius last week, and now it's around 11 degrees max daily.

Aquilist

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2n8b1hk5 said:
Aquilist":2n8b1hk5 said:
kingofnobbys":2n8b1hk5 said:
He's fine.

what brand is it ?

Not sure of the rating.

If it's a t8 tube , it's way too far away even if it's in a reflector hood and rated at 10% UVB.
Plus
<<<< It's a very poor quality brand, my advise is replace it immediately with either
an Exo Terra 18W 10%UVB
or
an Zoo Med 18W 10%UVB
or even better

Setting up correct UV

The basking spot needs to be about 15cm from a T8 12%UVB tube in a reflector hood to ensure the dragon gets sufficient UVA & UVB.

These junk brands like SparkZoo are cheap and very nasty and very poorly made , nearly always have very poor quality quartz in the tubes and secondrate phosphors inside them all of which means
> they leak UVC through micro-fissures and poor thickness control when the tubes are excuded from molten poor quality quartz (BAD !!!)

Better off spending some extra $ to invest in the best quality UV source you get your hands on, in UV sources it's very much worth the extra you have to pay to get top quality branded UV sources like Arcadia Reptile or Exo Terra or Zoo Med ( only ones you should consider as all others are elcheapo shopbranded clones made on the cheap ) , and while you are at , upgrading to a T5ho reflector hood , I'd recommend one suitable for a 24W T5ho tube , and invest in an Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB 24W tube. Your dragon will thrive under one of these ( aim for the basking spot to be about 30cm from the new t5ho 12%UVB tube.
I'm struggling to find the brands you reccomended. The only brand available near me is Reptile One.
Would it be possibly to install a Mercury Vapour Bulb in the heat lamp socket? That end is where popcorn spends most his time, and this will provide UVB, yes?
I was considering this one: https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/exo-terra-solar-glo-slf-blst-uv-heat-lamp-125w-pt2192-220-p-8279

or exo terra here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exo-Terra-Reptiglo-10-0-UVB150-24-UVB-/172836570880?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Aquilist":2g09459g said:
kingofnobbys":2g09459g said:
Aquilist":2g09459g said:
kingofnobbys":2g09459g said:
He's fine.

what brand is it ?

Not sure of the rating.

Plus
an Exo Terra 18W 10%UVB
or
an Zoo Med 18W 10%UVB
or even better

Setting up correct UV

I'm struggling to find the brands you reccomended. The only brand available near me is Reptile One.
Would it be possibly to install a Mercury Vapour Bulb in the heat lamp socket? That end is where popcorn spends most his time, and this will provide UVB, yes?
I was considering this one: https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/exo-terra-solar-glo-slf-blst-uv-heat-lamp-125w-pt2192-220-p-8279

<<<< exo terra MVBs are good gear, only make note that no MVB can be dimmed and it can be hard to tune the temperatures and UV gradients from a MVB so they are all good.

or exo terra here: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exo-Terra-Reptiglo-10-0-UVB150-24-UVB-/172836570880?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

<<< it's T8 so while it's a better tube than what you have, it's still very weak in UVA and UVB output so you will need the basking spot very close.

REPTILE ONE uv tubes and globes are rubbish. Stear well clear of their tubes, and globes, their reflector hoods are probably OK though.

Try Amazing Amazon ( based in Victoria )
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/reptiles-melbourne-victoria-australia-for-sale/pythons-snakes/lighting/uvb-lighting.html

https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/arcadia-reptile-t5-12-globe-light.html
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/arcadia-reptile-t5-14-globe-light.html
and this comes with with a 12% tube already installed , so it's essentially plug and play !!
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/arcadia-reptile-pro-uvb-lighting.html
, they carry all the good stuff and you can buy over the phone , or via online and they'll take paypal and ship to your door very quickly.

Aquilist

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2xedys8o said:
REPTILE ONE uv tubes and globes are rubbish. Stear well clear of their tubes, and globes, their reflector hoods are probably OK though.

https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/reptiles-melbourne-victoria-australia-for-sale/pythons-snakes/lighting/uvb-lighting.html

and this comes with with a 12% tube already installed , so it's essentially plug and play !!
, they carry all the good stuff and you can buy over the phone , or via online and they'll take paypal and ship to your door very quickly.
Me and my dad have already attached a reflector within the enclosure, and whilst I most definetely want the best for my beardie, I really want to find the best tube for the reflector I already have. What is the best T8 tube I can get?
I am familiar with amazing amazon, I got some stuff from them for my green tree frog's bioactive tank. They're great!

I was considering the Reptisun 10.0? Would that be the next best option?
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/repti-sun-10-0-24.html

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Aquilist":1ha1b5a1 said:
kingofnobbys":1ha1b5a1 said:

Me and my dad have already attached a reflector within the enclosure, and whilst I most definetely want the best for my beardie, I really want to find the best tube for the reflector I already have. What is the best T8 tube I can get?
I am familiar with amazing amazon, I got some stuff from them for my green tree frog's bioactive tank. They're great!

I was considering the Reptisun 10.0? Would that be the next best option?
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/repti-sun-10-0-24.html

The Reptisun 10.0 (the T5ho version) is a very good tube , as is the T8 version (only it's still very weak compared with a T5ho , not nearly as good as the Arcadia 12%UVB T8 and T5ho tubes , which also have a 12 month guarantee cf all others who say only 6 months between replacement is required.

Aquilist

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2pq67wwt said:
The Reptisun 10.0 (the T5ho version) is a very good tube , not nearly as good as the Arcadia 12%UVB T5ho , which also has a 12 month guarantee cf all others who say only 6 months between replacement is required.

Ok, in that case, I'm going to buy the Reptisun now and as I'm getting a job soon, I'll be able to afford the better-quality lighting option later.

Also, what do you think of the Exo Terra Vitamize Multi-Vitamins?
What are the best vitamin supplements in your opinion?

MCHRKiller

Hatchling Member
Personally I'd run the MVB and a T8...that's just me it would give you a gradient of heat and UV. The issue with MVBs is for the ideal distance you need for mvb exposure 14-16" is prime the heat output isnt usually high enough for basking. But no biggie just run a supplemental heat bulb for a midday burst. More natural IMO anyway.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Aquilist":n7rd5rb2 said:
kingofnobbys":n7rd5rb2 said:
The Reptisun 10.0 (the T5ho version) is a very good tube , not nearly as good as the Arcadia 12%UVB T5ho , which also has a 12 month guarantee cf all others who say only 6 months between replacement is required.

Ok, in that case, I'm going to buy the Reptisun now and as I'm getting a job soon, I'll be able to afford the better-quality lighting option later.

Also, what do you think of the Exo Terra Vitamize Multi-Vitamins?
What are the best vitamin supplements in your opinion?

Since you only have a T8 tube
>> Zoo Med Repti-Calcium w/ VitD3 will be a good daily supp to LIGHTLY dust all the crickets or woodies with, make sure to gutload them too ( buk choi or pak choi greens are very good for calcium )
TIP make sure the calcium powder is extra fine , not ground oyster shells , is best if it's colloidally precipitated.

>> AristoPet Repti-Vite for adding to supp schedule on weekends - a bottle will go a log way , my latest bottle was opened in September 2015 and I'm feeding 2 adult eastern bluetongues, 2 central bearded dragons and currently 2 adult eastern water skinks ( my two females ) and juvenile / subadult ( my male ).
On weekend I mix about 1/2 tsp of each together to dust my crickets with. The left over mix goes in with superworms or the mealworms to boost the value of wheatbran bedding .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom