Sunblaster fixture noise; F10SC sourcing

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Sunblaster fixture noise; F10SC sourcing

Postby skyfishcafe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:17 am

Hi everyone, I have some brief questions for you today:

(1) Has anyone experienced clicking sounds with the 24" Sunblaster T5 HO fixtures? Last week the one I have rigged up started making noises right after it turns on and off -- initially once or twice a minute then decreasing in frequency and stopping over the next half hour. To my untrained ear it sounds like the metal expanding/contracting with the change in temperature caused by the bulb, but it never did this before last week. Faulty fixture?

(2) Where are you sourcing your F10SC? Everywhere I look online, the SC is out of stock or de-listed. Is there a comparable product under another name? I suppose I could just get the SCXD instead...

With thanks,
Aaron
skyfishcafe
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Sunblaster fixture noise; F10SC sourcing

Postby claudiusx » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:10 am

Hi Aaron,

I haven't noticed that, but it most likely is what you described, the metal expanding. Has it been getting pretty cold for you lately?
I have 4 sunblasters running right now and haven't had any issues so far with any.

Sorry, i'm of no help with sourcing f10 :(

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:15 pm

My usual source (The Bean Farm) appears to be out of F10 as well. Not sure what might be causing the shortage. It will likely come back into stock eventually. I believe the SCXD includes a cleaner so it's more of an all in one rather than a straight disinfectant. I haven't used it before. Another option (which I use at the local shelter) is Rescue made by Virox. If you can find that it should do the trick too.
CooperDragon

Postby skyfishcafe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:45 am

Brandon, thanks for confirming that the noise is not typical. I've realized that the clicking in the Sunblaster started when I added the reflector and, more importantly, raised the height of the fixture -- it is now much closer to the basking bulb, which may explain the temperature changes. The weather here has been flipping quite a bit as well.

CooperDragon, I've found Rescue on Amazon -- thank you! The company's site doesn't make any specific mentions of compatibility with reptiles, but I suspect you've had no problems with it?

With kind regards,
Aaron
skyfishcafe
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:18 pm

I haven't used it with reptiles to know for sure but have with cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, and small birds. I use it in the same way I use F10 at home by cleaning an area, spraying it, giving it 5 min contact time (roughly) and wiping it down. The active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide so that should break down into water and oxygen so I don't think it would be harmful to a reptile.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures