New Bearded Dragon Owner Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nogard22

Hello All,
We just got our first bearded dragon "Jimmy" October 1st. He is now 11 weeks old and about 7.5 inches long. We have him in a 4' x 2' x 2' Zen enclosure. Basking temp gets up to 116 (via temp gun) on the part of the bridge that sits directly under basking light. I have a 150 watt Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot. I have a 34" T5 HO ReptiSun 10.0 UVB in a Zoo Med hood with reflector. Both lights sitting on top of vibranium screen (technically it is a galvanized steel screen). I have recently added a CHE (50W) to bring "cool side" temp up to about 78-80 degrees during day, because it is getting cold now. Night time temps went to 66 - 67 degrees until I started using CHE and now low 70s. His lights are on from 7:00 AM to 7:30 PM. Humidity ranges from 34 - 44%.
He seems to be alert and active after he gets basking in the early morning but by the time 4:00 to 5:00 rolls around, he is getting tired, eyes at half mast. Today by 3:00, he was under the wood trying to sleep. He does not eat greens. He ate dandelion greens torn into little pieces (hand-fed) one time. He eats small bits of pepper, mango, carrots when hand-fed. (Have tried collard, turnip, mustard greens, endive and arugula). He has greens and veggies available in tank from close to lights on until 2 hours before bed. No water dish. His main feeding is about 9:30 and he is fed again around 2:30. He eats up to 12 crickets at best. All furniture is removed except stool while feeding. He did eat BSFL as well, currently out but more on the way. He would only eat about 6 or 7 of those and not as readily as crickets. Also bought wax worms and use a couple here and there to "prime him for food" but I understand they are like "junk food", but... he will come running to devour one of those! He usually does not eat at the second feeding... he might 1 to 3 crickets. He poops a couple of times a day (usually small), sometimes a normal size, not runny and the rate/white stuff is present. I bathe him a couple times a week and sometimes spray him a time or 2 between baths. His legs, under his jaw and partial tail (I think) have shed since we have had him.
Is all of this normal? If not, any suggestions? Also added a picture of adding an extra white light for brighter tank, I think it is a 60W LED which brightens the tank a bit. Just tried it today, late afternoon.
Thanks in advance for reading this and providing any input!!
106551-8847255357.jpg
106551-7247449341.jpg
106551-5894923541.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That all looks great. Those Zen Habitats are really nice. Your temps are good and you're using an excellent UVB light. As long as he is able to move easily between the different areas I think he's in good shape. Don't worry too much about him ignoring veges at this age, that's pretty common. Just keep offering them and he'll eventually start to dig in more as he gets older (12-18 months or so). Keep your lights on the same schedule (12-14hr on) and if he chooses to go to sleep earlier that's OK as long as he is otherwise active and alert. Sounds like he's off to a great start with you =)

Nogard22

Original Poster
Thank you. Do you think the UVB light is good on top of the screen? I read that the screen blocks quite a bit out; however, I know the 34" tube specifically of the T5 HO puts out "stronger" UVB (if that is a correct way to say it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The top does block some of the UVB, reducing the effective distance. With the screen there you probably want the light to be around 10'' or so above the main basking area. If you put it underneath the screen it should be more like 12-14'' or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom