Sunblaster fixture noise; F10SC sourcing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I have some brief questions for you today:

(1) Has anyone experienced clicking sounds with the 24" Sunblaster T5 HO fixtures? Last week the one I have rigged up started making noises right after it turns on and off -- initially once or twice a minute then decreasing in frequency and stopping over the next half hour. To my untrained ear it sounds like the metal expanding/contracting with the change in temperature caused by the bulb, but it never did this before last week. Faulty fixture?

(2) Where are you sourcing your F10SC? Everywhere I look online, the SC is out of stock or de-listed. Is there a comparable product under another name? I suppose I could just get the SCXD instead...

With thanks,
Aaron

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Aaron,

I haven't noticed that, but it most likely is what you described, the metal expanding. Has it been getting pretty cold for you lately?
I have 4 sunblasters running right now and haven't had any issues so far with any.

Sorry, i'm of no help with sourcing f10 :(

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My usual source (The Bean Farm) appears to be out of F10 as well. Not sure what might be causing the shortage. It will likely come back into stock eventually. I believe the SCXD includes a cleaner so it's more of an all in one rather than a straight disinfectant. I haven't used it before. Another option (which I use at the local shelter) is Rescue made by Virox. If you can find that it should do the trick too.

skyfishcafe

Original Poster
Brandon, thanks for confirming that the noise is not typical. I've realized that the clicking in the Sunblaster started when I added the reflector and, more importantly, raised the height of the fixture -- it is now much closer to the basking bulb, which may explain the temperature changes. The weather here has been flipping quite a bit as well.

CooperDragon, I've found Rescue on Amazon -- thank you! The company's site doesn't make any specific mentions of compatibility with reptiles, but I suspect you've had no problems with it?

With kind regards,
Aaron

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't used it with reptiles to know for sure but have with cats, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, and small birds. I use it in the same way I use F10 at home by cleaning an area, spraying it, giving it 5 min contact time (roughly) and wiping it down. The active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide so that should break down into water and oxygen so I don't think it would be harmful to a reptile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom