Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

I'm a new beardie owner. Please see tank and environment conditions here. (please note: Even though Drogon has sand in his terrarium, he is fed in a separate container with no substrate)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251767

I keep seeing A LOT of information on how much to feed a 4-5 month old. I was gone for a week on my honeymoon and gave my dad detailed instructions on how much to feed him. As the week progressed, he went from 13 crickets to 20 crickets!! We've been feeding him a mix of babies and adult crickets, all calcium dusted, but usually he eats adults. Occasionally, he'll take a bit of greens but not much interest yet. Once a week, he gets a bit of multivitamin powder with the calcium. His poop is coming out massive, a bit watery with the urate. I assume this is because how much he's eating!!

Drogon can definetly eat 1-2 times a day, so that's A LOT! Should I limit how much he eats? Should he eat all 20 crickets with calcium?
Also, I'm still seeing some stress marks (perhaps because my parents are loud -_-) and he's been opening his mouth while basking and sometimes puffing his beard out.

Is this normal beardie teenage behavior as he grows?

Thank you!
Selkie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi selkie,

That all sounds normal. They really can eat quite a bit. You can do 1 or 2 feedings a day it's up to you.
I would distance with the calcium at 5 feedings per week. So if you do twice a day, only do 1 of those feedings with calcium.

Gaping while basking is just a way they use to thermo thermoregulate. what is the basking surface temp?

Some stress marks are ok. I wouldnt worry about them as long as husbandry is proper :)

You might want to slowly introduce some new feeder options too. The more variety you can give the better :)

-Brandon

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thanks Brandon!!

That really eases my mind.

Occasionally he likes to eat BSFL. What else can he eat? :) The only bug Im not comfortable with is roaches. I live in SC and I cant stand those things >_<

Selkie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oh and his favorite basking spot is usually 95-100 :)

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Selkie1993":3hka5bfo said:
Occasionally he likes to eat BSFL. What else can he eat? :) The only bug Im not comfortable with is roaches. I live in SC and I cant stand those things >_<

Have you seen the Beautiful Dragons nutrition list http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html? It's mainly veggies and such, but does list some insects that can be fed. My Figment loves his crickets, will occasionally do BSFL, likes small superworms, and gets waxworms, hornworms, and butterworms as a treat. I really feel your pain with the whole roach thing, but if you think you can stomach it without getting nauseous, dubia roaches are really, really good for dragons. Figment practically inhales them. I've been converted, even though I truly can't stand the things, either - and I really was averse to it at first! They really look more like pillbugs ("rolly-pollies"?) than like wild roaches, and they're super easy to keep and feed.

Good luck with your little dragon!

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
hi there!!

Thank you for the list :) I will have to experiment and see what Drogon enjoys. He is suuuuper picky with greens, perhaps because he’s a juvenile.

Do you know if roaches are available at petsmart? Also,
do they fly? ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The petsmarts I know do not carry roaches but usually your local mom and pops stores will --- you can always order them on line -- here is some info on roaches
Dubias
• Wide range of sizes
• Long life span
• Excellent nutrition
• Easy to digest
• High in protein
Convenient for you
• Odorless and soundless
• Will not infest your home
• Can be stored out of sight
• Easy to care for
• Cannot jump, fly or climb
keep in a 10 gallon aquarium or tote and feed dubia food along w/ carrots as hydration
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
KarrieRee":1h97kwiz said:
The petsmarts I know do not carry roaches but usually your local mom and pops stores will --- you can always order them on line -- here is some info on roaches
Dubias
• Wide range of sizes
• Long life span
• Excellent nutrition
• Easy to digest
• High in protein
Convenient for you
• Odorless and soundless
• Will not infest your home
• Can be stored out of sight
• Easy to care for
• Cannot jump, fly or climb
keep in a 10 gallon aquarium or tote and feed dubia food along w/ carrots as hydration

Karrie is the Dubia Queen! I wouldn’t buy dubias from Petco, which does carry them off and on; they’re small and mostly dead from what I’ve always seen. I get mine from dubiaroaches.com and have been pleased with the quality- you can get mixed packs that include small superworms and BSFL for a reasonable cost, plus shipping.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
What's everyone's opinions on mealworms? Drogon has only eaten them 1-2 times. I only gave him 2 medium worms with no problems. His usual diet contains crickets, BSFL, and lettuce (when he's not being a brat). I wanted to add some variety :)

Selkie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
claudiusx":1ds4xkwr said:
Selkie1993":1ds4xkwr said:
What's everyone's opinions on mealworms?
This about sums up my thoughts :wink:
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=250599

Thanks for sharing that, Brandon- I’ve been afraid to give Figment mealworms because of the reputation, but your post made me feel a bit more confident. You’re right; variety is key. If his reaction to superworms is any gauge, I bet Figment will love them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom