Terry is Growling & Black!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Englishbloke

Today I went into my sons room and was stunned to see Terence all black under his beard and he started growling.. like gargling. He us clearly not well. I gave him a quick bath he went to toilet as he always does in the bath.. I tried him with drink and food he doesnt want either and continues to growl periodically. What can this be?

I did read a post about a Beardie called Dewey on here and it sounded just like this.. I've made a quick video of him doing the noise...

https://youtu.be/DSg2yktnCuU

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh my he does not sound good at all -- it sounds like hes got something going on w/ the respiratory--- and the black beard is not good -- I would be getting him to the vet ASAP-- I hope you have a reptile vet in your area---- they should do a Xray of the lungs to see if that is fluid --- for now I would keep him warm over nite like around 80 or so = do you have a heat emitter CHE ? turn it on ---- I am hoping you can get him in now --- what are his basking temps and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun ? digital probe? stick ons? And his UVB are you using a tube or coil? AHBD or Brandon or Tracie need to weigh in on this -- I am hoping the read this today
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I don't think beardies make noise unless there's something wrong or they're angry. The black beard's not a good sign either. Is there any chance he aspirated some water? I'd get him to the vet asap. If it's too late today, you might be able to help by putting him on on a log or something so that his head is lower than his tail. If you can't get him into that position while he's awake, wait until he falls asleep and gently re-arrange him so that if there's fluid in his lungs, it might have a chance to drain. That's all I've got. You might want to PM Drache613 (Tracie). She's a vet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you review your tank setup for us, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation,
temperatures, foods fed to him, etc so we can be sure his setup is good.
If you can keep his tank around 80 overnight, to help him out right now that would be good.
I highly recommend that you try to get him to a vet as soon as you can. He definitely isn't
feeling very well at all & likely has a respiratory infection or possibly pneumonia.
How long has he been in distress like this?
As suggested, try to place him on a slight decline to help his lungs drain any fluids out during
the night.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Any updates for us?

If you could respond to the previous posters questions, we would have more details and be better able to help you :)

Hope things are going well.

-Brandon

Englishbloke

Original Poster
Sorry guys.. I have been absolutely swamped with juggling business.. kids, renovating our house our Maine Coon being diagnosed with cancer... a death in the family and of course Terry being sick.

So our vet diagnosed Terry with pneumonia and he has started daily injections of anti biotics.

We dont know what might have caused it, it could have been water consumed during bath time. He is looking better his beard is still patchy dark but not nearly as black as it was and so I assume this is a good sign. We bought a stronger basking bulb and maintaining his environment at 36/38 and I also bought a heating pad which is on at night to maintain a nice warm temperature for him.

I will let you all know how he gets on, hopefully my video serves to help anyone else who experiences the same thing. Thanks.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry to hear your boy has pneumonia! Which antibiotic is he receiving now?
If he aspirated some water during a bath a lot of times that can cause them to develop a
respiratory infection.
Are you keeping his tank around 80 overnight right now since he isn't feeling well? How
is his appetite doing?

Do keep us updated on him, I hope he is feeling better soon.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom