My Dragon Is Inflating His Throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astros5372

Hello there.

I am going to get straight to the point.
I got my bearded dragon about 4 weeks ago now. He is 5 months old and just finished shedding his body. Over the last few days I have noticed that he would constantly seem like he is breathing heavily. He is puffing his throat up before opening his mouth. I am conflicted in thinking this is either temperature, RI or Shedding his nose. Note that there is no sign of him shedding his nose like I have seen online and in books. He started shedding about 4 days ago. I am sending a video of his breathing incase I didn't explain something well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpxaBkSwOMc

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Astros5372":29olawn9 said:
Hello there.

I am going to get straight to the point.
I got my bearded dragon about 4 weeks ago now. He is 5 months old and just finished shedding his body. Over the last few days I have noticed that he would constantly seem like he is breathing heavily. He is puffing his throat up before opening his mouth. I am conflicted in thinking this is either temperature, RI or Shedding his nose. Note that there is no sign of him shedding his nose like I have seen online and in books. He started shedding about 4 days ago. I am sending a video of his breathing incase I didn't explain something well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpxaBkSwOMc
That's similar to what my bearded dragon is doing and I was just about to post about it.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I believe they sometimes "flex" to get shed to release. I wonder if that's what this is. Mine deep breathe and inflate like this from time to time for no apparent reason and they're healthy, so I wouldn't read too much into it unless it looks like they're doing it a lot or involuntarily, which might point to an RI.

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Did he just eat? Mine does this every time he eats. Honestly looks like he’s burping lol. He could also be stretching getting ready to shed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My dragon does that as well. It's normal behavior and as mentioned earlier, I equate it to a burp.

Astros5372

Original Poster
CooperDragon":hbf7eotn said:
My dragon does that as well. It's normal behavior and as mentioned earlier, I equate it to a burp.

Well if so he is still doing it. I have noticed he also rubs his face on his enclosure walls and hiding.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is he showing signs of a shed coming on along his face or beard? That may be causing him to rub his face to scratch it. Where is he hiding? Does he hide a lot? Does he act ill/lethargic? He looks alert in your video.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is normal behavior ---my little guy and big guy do it in the mornings after waking up --- its called stretching his beard---- if hes rubbing his face on something in the tank like his log hes probably getting ready to start a shed or maybe even has shed on his face -- mine does that as well
Karrie

Astros5372

Original Poster
CooperDragon":o718ecac said:
Is he showing signs of a shed coming on along his face or beard? That may be causing him to rub his face to scratch it. Where is he hiding? Does he hide a lot? Does he act ill/lethargic? He looks alert in your video.

I worded that wrongly, He is not hiding but rubbing his face off of his cave. He is still doing it over 12 days after his shed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah ok. Yeah that's typical if they are itchy. At that age they can have shed cycles one right after another sometimes so he may not be done with the shed yet.

Astros5372

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2twavt92 said:
Ah ok. Yeah that's typical if they are itchy. At that age they can have shed cycles one right after another sometimes so he may not be done with the shed yet.

Don't know if this is true but, Maybe he is brumating at the moment and taking slower bigger breaths rather than breathing normally. I have read this online so take it as a grain of salt.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
During brumation they get very sleepy but don't take longer breaths. He is much too small for brumation though. When they brumate they tend to eat less, maintain weight, and act groggy and sleep for extended periods (days to weeks at a time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom