Help I have a sick beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have a two year old beardy that has recently become lethargic, has decreased appetite and now isn’t eating but still pees and poops. His tail is possibly rotting and I fear he has an infection. The temps are all good. Anyone have any suggestions of how we can help him?

106475-4317192365.jpg

106475-860900386.jpg

106475-2850985341.jpg

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hello,

First of all, is there any chance you can post pictures of the dragon and his setup? At his age it's possible he's going through something called "brumation" for the first time, and if so he's probably just fine. I don't want to tell you that if that's not the case, though!

Please follow up with a little more information and me and many others here will be eager to help you.

Thanks,
-Ellen

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the very tip of the tail has a slight trauma bit that would not phase him although it could use some neposporin + keeping an eye on. The unshed patch higher up is perfectly normal in all beardies. So a few things, i that a heat rock ? If so you'll want to unplug it so he can't get burned since they malfunction easily. Can you list the exact type of uvb + heat bulbs you have. Look closely at the uvb to see the name, wattage, etc. Post a few pics of the tank + lights.

What has he been eating and how do you hydrate him ?

Leilanib73

Original Poster
Here is his habitat. There is a water dish that he poops (sometimes) and another that he drinks from. That’s how we got him. I unplugged the heat rock and he eats a diet of crickets, meal worms and greens.
106475-8017228795.jpg

The lights in his tank are:
Basking 120V 75watt bulb and Reptisun 5.0UVB bulb. His night heat bulb is a reptisun 60watt night bulb

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His diet is good + he's a nice size . :) You do have a big problem with improper uvb [ not your fault, it's what stores sell ] You need to get a long tube Reptisun 10.0 t5 or Arcadia D3 12-14 % bulb. In the mean time can you get him out in the sun if it's warm out ?

Leilanib73

Original Poster
Yes, I can get him outside tomorrow. Thanks! I found out my duaghter (7yo) pinched his tail which is what happened to his tail.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, it looks like he is not feeling well.
As suggested, do try to upgrade your UVB light. We recommend the long tube bulbs. The
best ones are either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14%. For the sized tank you
are using, the T5 High Output tube bulb would be great. Be sure that it is mounted directly
overhead at or around 10-12 inches above him, beside your basking light.
For now, can you keep him a little warmer overnight, around 80, while he isn't feeling very
good, to help boost his immune system? Use a ceramic heat emitter as they don't put out any
light, just heat.
Getting him outside & placing him on your lap might help get him some well needed UVB if
you can.
What type of supplementation do you use for him?

Tracie

Leilanib73

Original Poster
Unfortunately, when we returned home from the pet store today our beardy had passed away. Thank you to everyone who offered help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm so sorry ! :( There must have been something else going on unseen for him to have just died so quickly. I'm sure it was a terrible + sad shock to you, and my heart goes out to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom