URGENT: Need someone to "rescue" my beardy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in beaumont, Texas. I've had my bearded dragon since I was in 3rd grade, I'm 17 now. I can't drive yet, and I don't have money. I do my best to provide for him and read constantly online, but despite my best efforts, I feel like he's unhealthy. That may just be myself worrying, but I want him to be happy and healthy, and I don't feel comfortable taking care of him. The feeling that he's unhealthy isn't helped by the fact that I receive little to no assistance from my parents, and they refuse to bring him in for a vet visit. I don't know where I should be posting, but I'm looking for anything. Ultimately I want someone to adopt him who is proficient with caring for reptiles and can give him the care he needs. But also any advice is greatly appreciated. Especially recommendations on where to post and where to look to get him adopted. Thank you for reading.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm sorry you need to rehome your dragon. You have had her for awhile. We do have
a forum "For Free" here if you wanted to try to find a home for her. If you can post some
pictures of her & the tank setup, etc that would be helpful.
Can you run over her tank setup for us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, temperatures,
supplementation, foods fed, etc.
If you need help finding the for free forum, let me know.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can google rescue centers in your area---- also contact some reptile vets and ask them if they have info on where you can take him - explain your situation and go from there--- Be leary of people adopting them - you want him to go to someone who is going to actually provide a good home to him others on here my have more advice for you
Karrie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
You can also see if a local pet store might take him. I'm not talking about a chain store but one where you can see the dragons they have and talk with someone to make sure they know what they're doing before you consent to turn him over to them. If you post on Craigslist, be sure you ask whoever responds plenty of questions about husbandry. What would you feed him (foods, frequency)? Describe the specific lighting and vivarium where he will be kept. Who is your local reptile vet? What temperatures are appropriate for beardies? Do you have any other pets (and how will you guarantee that he will be protected from them)? If they can't answer these or give answers that would endanger him, it's a no-sale. You can check for the good answers to these questions on this site if you're unsure of any of the details :D

Also, be especially wary of people wanting to get a pet around the holidays as there are many, many sad stories of animals suffering when a parent gets a pet for their kid for Christmas with the logic "oh, it's just a stupid lizard, I'll throw it outside if he doesn't want it". That's not to say there aren't good endings to some of these gift cases, only that you need to be extra careful with the holidays coming up. I went to adopt a beardie from a reptile rescue near me and they grilled me, which I really appreciated, and you would be fulfilling your duty to him as a responsible pet parent by making sure he can thrive with his new owners.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Texas Reptile Rescue is in the Houston area. I would trust them with your dragon if it comes to that. As mentioned, if you can post some photos of him and his setup along with some details about his routine we may be able to help you care for him by making some recommendations within your means.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely try out the Rescue facilities if you can get to one in your area, they are usually
pretty helpful. Do you have any pictures we could see?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom