Halogen lights and dome fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a bit of preference but you want something rated beyond what the wattage of your bulb is. You also want to use a dome that is appropriately sized for the bulb and the area you're setting it in. I like using chicken brooder lamps. They are cheap and powerful. I use these from my local farm supply store https://www.farmandhomesupply.com/bayco-10-1-2-brooder-clamp-light.html You can use the clamp or hang them from the loop from an adjustable stand (which is what I do).

Domokunn89

Original Poster
I purchased these but I read that they sucked and thought they were 90 watts but seem to be only 72 which I think is too low because my enclosure isn’t hot enough. Any recommendations?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd just go to your local home improvement store and see what they have.

I recently went to home Depot and picked up some 40w BR halogens and they are doing fine in my tanks. I don't use dome fixtures though, I just have ceramic sockets mounted to the top of my tanks.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That style is fine (and similar to what I use) but if it isn't getting the enclosure hot enough then you may just need a higher wattage. You can try the BR (bulge reflector) versions as well and see if they are able to get the temps you need. It really comes down to surface temp readings in the end.

Domokunn89

Original Poster
I got another bulb which has an output of 80 watts. The temp has increased but still not getting it. I don’t have the reptisun uvb tube light yet just the bad coil lights. So maybe that is part of the reason. I tried a 150 halogen bulb replacement but it only puts out 19w which is low. It’s dimmable. Does that mean I can only increase brightness or watts too? HELP ? I can’t get it right.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If the halogen has a shaped reflective upper area, a dome is unnecessary and will achieve nothing , all you need is a ceramic fitting rated about 300W and a wire light cage to stop the reptile from touching the very hot globe surfaces and very hot ceramic fitting.

Please don't mount a dome fitting with halogen on top an plastic mesh lid , that's a recipy for a disaster.

If you must use a mesh lid , then you are better off mounting using a lamp stand that's adjustable in height.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the bulb is only putting out 19w it is probably an energy efficient version which won’t heat up enough. Another approach would be to use two lower wattage bulbs side by side which may do the trick while creating a nice wide basking zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom