URGENT: PLEASE HELP SICK BEARDIE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My adult bearded dragon today has been very tense in his stomach area and pooped a very "hard" poop today that was difficult for him to get out. He was huffing and puffing for the poo to get out. He has also been not as active, but he still eats.

His head vibrates when his stomach is tense and at times will get mad (black beard). I noticed that the right side of his beard on the bottom (where theres like a vein/tendon) shakes as well. He is not sleeping as well as he did a few days ago these past 2 nights. Throughout the day, his stomach got tense about 3-4 times, but after we comforted him, he was less tense.

Any idea what is going on with him to help him ease his pain?

Thank you so much!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds at least in part like he's having a very hard time pooing. What has he been eating + how much ? Do you give him supplements, if so what brand + how often ? Does he get oral hydration at all [ drinks while being soaked, or from a dropper or spray bottle ] You can give him a 10 minute warm bath, see if he drinks , plus it can help him to poo. Offer water with a syringe by dripping it on his snout, also try baby food like squash, green bean. prune, sweet potato + add a drop or 2 of olive oil . If you don't ave oil that's O.K. too.

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
He's been eating squash, bell peppers, occasionally some fruits like apples, strawberries, kale. He takes a bath every day and we usually let him soak in there for about 5 minutes. Lately, he hasn't been getting oral hydration. Before, if we left the faucet running, he would duck his head and drink from it, but lately he hasn't been doing that.

For supplements we give him the Fluker's Repta calcium with Vitamin D3 and the Rep Cal Herptivite Multivitamins.

If I buy some baby food, does it have to be organic and only contain for example the vegetable. Because I know some baby foods have like a lot of different ingredients.

Thank you so much!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, organic baby food or at least any kind without salt. How much of the multi vitamin do you give him ? That's only to be used 1-2 X a week max, and VERY lightly. Same with the calcium D3. Only once a week if you have strong uvb and regular calcium w/out D3 the other 2 X a week. What type of lights do you have and what are the temps throughout the tank ? Just want to be sure it hasn't gotten colder in your house maybe and you haven't noticed. That could affect digestion. And is there a way to post a video of the head vibrating ? Is it just when he poos ?

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
I don't have the calcium without the D3. We used to give the vitamins every 3 days and the calcium every day, because before he had a little bit of a calcium defiency. I'm guessing that is too much?

We have a UVB lightbulb, and maybe it is because of the colder weather that it might be affecting him and the overall temp in our house, but we don't notice. I have attached a link to a video of his head vibrating for all of you to take a close look at, it is only momentarily.

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtwnMVuj6fA

thanks again! :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
kalethebeardie":mx2aaj23 said:
I don't have the calcium without the D3. We used to give the vitamins every 3 days and the calcium every day, because before he had a little bit of a calcium defiency. I'm guessing that is too much?

We have a UVB lightbulb, and maybe it is because of the colder weather that it might be affecting him and the overall temp in our house, but we don't notice. I have attached a link to a video of his head vibrating for all of you to take a close look at, it is only momentarily.

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtwnMVuj6fA

thanks again! :D

This head vibration thing is due to inadequate UVA levels. It's neurological.

I saw this with one of mine (Rex) when I forgot when my UV source was due to be changed, replaced the UV source and the issue disappeared after a couple of weeks ( which is immediate for a dragon health issue ).

Exactly what is the UV source ?
type
brand
wattage
%UVB rating
how old
in a reflector dome or hood
ontop or under a mesh lid
how far from the basking spot
how far from tank floor
how long are the lights on each day ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
kalethebeardie":2x46vjuv said:
He's been eating squash, bell peppers, occasionally some fruits like apples, strawberries, kale. He takes a bath every day and we usually let him soak in there for about 5 minutes. Lately, he hasn't been getting oral hydration. Before, if we left the faucet running, he would duck his head and drink from it, but lately he hasn't been doing that.

<<< apples and strawberrys have virtually zero nutritional value. These are only good as very occasional treats.

For supplements we give him the Fluker's Repta calcium with Vitamin D3 and the Rep Cal Herptivite Multivitamins.

If I buy some baby food, does it have to be organic and only contain for example the vegetable. Because I know some baby foods have like a lot of different ingredients.

Thank you so much!

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

I am posting once again. My adult bearded dragon has been feeling very down and very STRESSED these past few days.

He pooped today and a fairly huge poop, but it was a little hard to come out for him. He hadn't pooped in the last 2 days, so today was the first poop. 3 days ago was when his poop was very hard to poop out, he is grunting and puffing when he poos.

He still eats, but not as big of an appetite than usual. We've been feeding him squash and mashed apples for now, nothing too solid.

His head also SHAKES/VIBRATES and just now, when he was sleeping, HIS BEARD GOT DARK, PUFFED, UP, BODY PUFFY AND RIGID, AND HIS HEAD WAS SHAKING FROM SIDE TO SIDE. I picked him up and soothed him, and now he is just very stressed (BLACK MARKS ON STOMACH, AND VERY DARK SKIN contrary to his usual golden self) and very sleepy/lazy.

He also got very frantic and will be very rigid and tense in his stomach area and run around as if looking for a way to escape (stressed, I'm guessing). He did this about 3 times today. He also just gets very dark, puffy, tense about 4-5 times a day these past few days. He still walks very fast and fine.

Can anyone tell me what is going on so I can help him as much as I can. I just ordered a new UVB T5 Tube so I can change it, in case that it is a UVB thing, but I fear it is more than this.

PLEASE HELP me in figuring out so that he is less stressed and happy again.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry that your dragon is having this problem. :( I see from previous threads that he was a rescue + you've had him for a couple of years now but he had a history of vibrating head. What kind of uvb are you using ? That's one of the most important questions here so please answer that also show a picture of his tank + light set up. Improper uvb can cause those symptoms at times. Has he been tested for ADV ? Adenovirus can also cause neurological problems . Best wishes for your scaly friend !

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
We haven’t brought him to a vet to check if he as ADV since there are no qualified exotic vets around. I have just changed to the Zoo Med T5 10.0 uvb tube and before we were using the small bulb one which was obviously useless.

He never very willing to be in his tank so we usually play with him out of the tank and he’s in the tank about 5-6 hours a day with a basking light.

He’s just been very frantic and tense as if he’s scared of something and very stressed :((.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can get w/ Drache613 / Tracie about testing for adinovirus --- she is the vet moderator on here - is he sitting under the UVB now ? Can you post pics of the tank and lighting please
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on top of the message box XIMG and then click on pic and it should post
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The first thing to focus on is that he had no real uvb for quite a long time, plus you've kept him out of the tank. That could definitely be the problem. Once he gets proper uvb he may start doing better quickly. If you don't have the right uvb he will not get better but can end up dying a slow death. If you want to test for ADV, contact the mod here named Tracie [ Drache613 ] She can get it done for a low price.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, he most likely has some metabolic bone disease issues due to not having enough
exposure to UVB. He hasn't been absorbing his calcium & other vitamins properly. That is
good to hear you did upgrade to the Reptisun 10 T5 tube, which is a great bulb. He should
greatly benefit from getting the UVB from that.
Has he been very active today? Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom