some insight on beardie health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Db123

So I had a bearded dragon who I believe went thru what seemed like brumation all year - tired, lethargic
Months went by and I tried snapping him out of it. He would for a few days, then fall right back into his normal cycle. Well, currently with the time I had to take to hand feed him and wake him daily, I gave him to my sister to care for. I knew she would do a much better job at his care than me. I just no longer had the time to do what he needed to be done (kids, work, etc)
She changed his uvb to what needed for the size tank, his heat and basking is much better, she has a dehumidifier in place in the case that could’ve been it. But he hasn’t improved. He has now stopped taking in ALL food - butter, wax, black fly, super, Dubia, mealies - everything. She was able to syringe feed him a mix of greens and worms recently.
He still acts like he’s brumating. (Or sick, dying?, etc)
She took him to the vet and he claims that he had parasites in his poop and possibly coccidia.
He had his second dose of medicine for coccidia on Wednesday with still no improvement.
I don’t know the details on the lighting but I know they are correct. She upped the uvb, his heat, made his cage have different variants of hot/cold spots by creating different levels to lay, etc
I’m not sure of his age because I acquired him when he was already a few years old but I’m guessing around five years old or less.
He is not losing weight despite not eating.
He does wake daily but stays under a heated area in his cage and doesn’t move nor bask.
He does this weird mouth smacking? Like, he’s tasting something.
She bathed him often to help him drink and because of the benefits of a bath.

I’m at a loss and I know she is too.

Any ideas?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so for purposes of lighting what are you using for UVB? Brand and bulb--- how are you taking basking temps and what are they? Do they plan to retest for parasites again after med is done? I am guessing he is brumating and as long as hes not losing weight and maintaining it that is good --- and w/ him not eating he is finding it no need to bask --- can you post a pic of him so we can see him -- and off hand do you know what he weighs?
Karrie

Db123

Original Poster
He has a 10.0 t5 reptisun bulb and his temps range from 110 to 90 on the hot side. The cool side stays around 78 to 82. At night, it doesn't drop below 70.
She plans on retesting for parasites when his medication is finished
He weighs 460 grams
His cage is 4x2, 8 sq ft total. 26 inches high.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Everything sounds good-- is the UVB inside tank beings it 26" high--? It should be 12-15 inches away from basking--- I am guessing it's brumation-- good weight-- I would keep on eye on her weight and make sure she's hydrated-- getting her out once a week or so
Karrie

Db123

Original Poster
Yeah it’s hung inside of his tank. My sister has everything right. The beardies color is great too. Its just confusing with him because he looks good and everything seems good he just isnt a regular bearded.
And brumation has lasted nearly a year. So that’s what made me think it wasn’t brumation.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hes been this way for a year? That is way too long---- I think I would be getting blood work done maybe some X rays as well--- last March my dragon was not eating so I took him to the vet to see what was going on after spending almost $500 on him to find nothing was wrong except a little dehydrated -- for a while I was force feeding him Oxbow Herbivore / Carnivore mixed --- then I just quit to see if he would eat on his own again and low and behold he started eating --- every since then I have been watching his weight --- now we are in the brumation thing and hes not eating again so I am watching the weight thing ----------- He has come out to bask for a while sit under his UVB and I have offered food but he doesnt eat --- all I can say is watch and see what he does -- make sure hes hydrated - I have been giving baths once a week and hes been drinking from the bath which he has NEVER done in the past --- and then I am weighing him at that time-
Karrie

Db123

Original Poster
My sis does all that. I figured she would have to wait and watch and see how he does. We aren’t quite sure what’s going on. His body feels good and as far as lethargy goes he will drink water in baths. Tho he didn’t drink when I tried the other day dripping it on the front of his mouth.

I appreciate your help either way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom