Blanket or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieGuy24

I have heard people say they have blankets for their bearded dragons. If I keep the cage's temperature the same at night, then can the beardie overheat?

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
they are cold blooded, so they don't get warmed up by a blanket, sometimes it can make them colder if you wrap then fully up. but its fine to have a blanket in there or wrap them up, they wont over heat.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Blankets don't work the same for dragons as it does for humans :)
Since they don't produce their own body heat, there really isn't much of a concern with them overheating under one at night. Not unless it's directly over a heat source, but even then, they'd likely just move.

I like "blankets". I had one dragon who would literally not sleep unless she could get under her "blanket" (which was just a wash cloth).
She would either stare at me with tired eyes until I covered her with it, or she would try herself to nudge her head into it.

See if yours likes it. If not, oh well :) It's part of the fun of having a dragon - learning their likes and dislikes.
BeardieGuy24":1cyxsxxa said:
If I keep the cage's temperature the same at night, then can the beardie overheat?
I wouldn't keep the temperature the same at night as you do during the day. Darkness and cool temps are an important part of their husbandry and cycle. I wouldn't add any heat at night unless your house is dropping below 60. A cooling down period is important at night for them.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They like soft things -- so a fleece blanket in their hide would be nice for them --- I have one in both my tanks for my dragons- Hiccup sleeps in his hide on it but not all the time --- as of now he is brumating on the tile in his rock hide go figure ----- I would of thought he would of moved to his platform/ cave w/ the blanket and some thick paper towels for burrowing but nope hes in the rock :roll:
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I think a lot of people provide soft fleece blankies for their dragons to provide creature
comforts. :D I believe that they deserve the best.
So it is simply your decision.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom