Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi there!

New dragon owner. Before continuing, please read over his story to know what environment he was in and the changes I made:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251767

You may notice I've posted a lot, mostly because I care about my baby so much and want to make sure everything goes well with his new environment. I just purchased some BSFL from Petsmart and the woman told me they must be refrigerated and smell a bit like vinegar because it stops their transformation process? (IDk if this is true or not).

Today, I tried to feed Drogon a few larvae and he was not having it. I'm wondering if it's because his previous owner never fed them to him. Do you think it's the vinegar smell? I tried misting them with some water and he was still like "nope." I hope I didn't just buy this for nothing -__-

Also, do dragons have days when they want to eat more than others? Yesterday he was an eating machine and today he's like meh..no thanks.

Thanks for all the info and help :)
Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He may just not be in the mood for them now, that's OK. Keep offering them and he may eventually dig in. You can keep the bsfl in their container at room temperature. Mine usually last a month or two that way before changing into flies (which are also a good treat to offer). You can keep them cooler in a wine fridge but I wouldn't put them in an area as cold as a regular refrigerator. I just leave mine on the table next to my dragon's gear and it's fine. And they do have a lot of ups and downs with their appetite. As long as he is active and alert but ignoring food he is probably just not hungry.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for responding!

My little guy wasn't exposed to a varied diet, so with new food he literally looks at me like o___O u want me to eat that? Lol.

He won't even eat greens from his dish! I have to hand feed it to him -_- such a cute brat lol.

Selkie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Also, a bit off topic, but are dragon toes naturally flexible? Sometimes when he's laying in my land or on his perch his toes curve underneath him or in weird angles, but he walks and jumps perfectly fine?

106408-7553228461.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Responded to your PM :)
Perfectly normal :)

In regards to the BSFL, I'd just like to echo what cooper said. However what is this about vinegar? I've never heard of that. Do your BSFL smell like vinegar?

Two of my dragons won't eat them. 1 will tolerate them. And 1 will absolutely devour them. Of all the bugs out there, I think BSFL are the most hit or miss with whether or not a dragon likes them. But if they do, they are a great feeder.

-Brandon

Selkie1993":3f3u2o6f said:
Also, a bit off topic, but are dragon toes naturally flexible? Sometimes when he's laying in my land or on his perch his toes curve underneath him or in weird angles, but he walks and jumps perfectly fine?

106408-7553228461.jpg

I am a new beardie owner, too. Mine came from a not so good home and I have been wondering about alll the questions you just posted. Sometimes mine will eat like a pig sometimes he won’t. He also won’t touch his greens. I have even tried putting it on a butterworm and letting the butterworm curl over it, I tricked him once with that and now when I do it he literally flicks it across his tank lol! I have only had him for 8 days and am trying to find other ways to get him to take his greens. I have tried hand feeding him the greens and he wants nothing to do with it. Phoenix is my dragons name and he was surrendered to petco and wasn’t receiving adequate uvb lighting, calcium, or food. As well as his tank being too small for him it curled his tail. He was showing very pre signs of mbd when I got him and ordered bsfl right away. They came in the mail three or four days ago and he ate 2 the first night and hasn’t touched them since. Even though he literally needs to eat them lol. I am picking up some Dubias tomorrow so I’m hoping he will like those. He hasn’t been a fan of any staple insect feeder I have tried giving him. He will eat a couple crickets though but not many like 5 tops. He absolutely loves butter worms but I read they aren’t a good staple feeder. He was eating dried mealworms at petco and I haven’t fed those at all since I brought Phoenix home because of the fact they can cause impaction. I can;t believe the personalities these little guys have, lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
@dreamaliens-- what kind of lighting set up and how old is the dragon?? The treat worms should be used only to get them into the food bowl- I would use a glass dish that the worms cannot get out of --- take some of your BSFL as many as you want sprinkle on top along w/ like 1-3 super worms --- make sure he sees you add these to the food bowl so it gets his attention - let him eat from that bowl for 30-45 minutes then add your staple feeder like dubias and put them in w/ the vegies --- the movement will get him back to that bowl - mine is 4 months old and he gets in the bowl to eat or he leans his head in and pulls out greens and bugs-- he should be eating more than 5 crickets ---- I would feed a second feeding in the afternoon -- hopefully hes gonna for those dubias make sure you add them to his salad tho
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
claudiusx":2ds17ffx said:
Hi there,

Responded to your PM :)
Perfectly normal :)

In regards to the BSFL, I'd just like to echo what cooper said. However what is this about vinegar? I've never heard of that. Do your BSFL smell like vinegar?

Two of my dragons won't eat them. 1 will tolerate them. And 1 will absolutely devour them. Of all the bugs out there, I think BSFL are the most hit or miss with whether or not a dragon likes them. But if they do, they are a great feeder.

-Brandon

Brandon,
Yay! Phew. Thank goodness. I swear, they smell like vinegar :silent: I believe she said it prevents them from morphing?? Maybe it has to do with their food. That's why I sprayed them a bit. If something smelled like straight vinegar I wouldn't eat it either!!

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dreamaliens":3rp9wg0t said:
Selkie1993":3rp9wg0t said:

106408-7553228461.jpg

I am a new beardie owner, too. Mine came from a not so good home and I have been wondering about alll the questions you just posted. Sometimes mine will eat like a pig sometimes he won’t. He also won’t touch his greens. I have even tried putting it on a butterworm and letting the butterworm curl over it, I tricked him once with that and now when I do it he literally flicks it across his tank lol! I have only had him for 8 days and am trying to find other ways to get him to take his greens. I have tried hand feeding him the greens and he wants nothing to do with it. Phoenix is my dragons name and he was surrendered to petco and wasn’t receiving adequate uvb lighting, calcium, or food. As well as his tank being too small for him it curled his tail. He was showing very pre signs of mbd when I got him and ordered bsfl right away. They came in the mail three or four days ago and he ate 2 the first night and hasn’t touched them since. Even though he literally needs to eat them lol. I am picking up some Dubias tomorrow so I’m hoping he will like those. He hasn’t been a fan of any staple insect feeder I have tried giving him. He will eat a couple crickets though but not many like 5 tops. He absolutely loves butter worms but I read they aren’t a good staple feeder. He was eating dried mealworms at petco and I haven’t fed those at all since I brought Phoenix home because of the fact they can cause impaction. I can;t believe the personalities these little guys have, lol.

Hey there!
I'm so sorry your beardie wasn't taken care of :( I actually learned a fantastic trick to help with greens! First, wash a bunch of different types. I like organicgirl power greens. It has kale, spinach, dandelion, tango. ALl the good stuff! Make sure the leaves have some moisture or water on them. Rip them into thin long strands or smaller depending on how big your beardie is. Gently rub the leave by his mouth, just by his lips. He may lick it, look at it and then try it. I think at our stage, beardies will sometimes eat and othertimes theyre like "nah, I ate a lot yesterday." I'm getting married in a few days, and we have people coming over so I think that's partially why. He just moved in and he's a bit stressed.

Let me know if the trick works! :) I learned it here on the site!
Selkie :blob8:

KarrieRee":1yz9e3wh said:
@dreamaliens-- what kind of lighting set up and how old is the dragon?? The treat worms should be used only to get them into the food bowl- I would use a glass dish that the worms cannot get out of --- take some of your BSFL as many as you want sprinkle on top along w/ like 1-3 super worms --- make sure he sees you add these to the food bowl so it gets his attention - let him eat from that bowl for 30-45 minutes then add your staple feeder like dubias and put them in w/ the vegies --- the movement will get him back to that bowl - mine is 4 months old and he gets in the bowl to eat or he leans his head in and pulls out greens and bugs-- he should be eating more than 5 crickets ---- I would feed a second feeding in the afternoon -- hopefully hes gonna for those dubias make sure you add them to his salad tho
Karrie

We are unaware of his age- however he is 12inches long. Petco says his growth was stunted because he was in too small of an Enclosure, didn't have uvb lights and was only fed wax worms and meal worms. He finally took about 7 pieces of colly greens from my hand tonight. He also drank water like three times which I haven't seen him do since he's been home. He hasn't done that yet. He ate 5 crickets this morning. And then this afternoon he ate 7 crickets 2 bsfl and to get him alfalfa sprouts, mustard greens, colly greens etc I gave him a butterworm. I will try the superworm thing. I thought they were the same thing as mealworms just bigger- so I thought they caused impaction. As for the lights PetSmart sold me the zilla slime t8 something uvb light which was soooo way wrong. I actually ended up mounting it inside his terrarium until the reptisun 10.0 t5 Ho came in the mail this morning and since he's been under the reptisun his appetite and alertness has increased. He has 100watt basking light. Temps on the hot side are 103-109 and on the cool side 80-82°. at night it's right at 72°. I moved him into a 55 gallon this morning. How far away should I mount the reptisun?

Selkie1993":2uwvp90o said:
Dreamaliens":2uwvp90o said:
Selkie1993":2uwvp90o said:

106408-7553228461.jpg

Hey there!
I'm so sorry your beardie wasn't taken care of :( I actually learned a fantastic trick to help with greens! First, wash a bunch of different types. I like organicgirl power greens. It has kale, spinach, dandelion, tango. ALl the good stuff! Make sure the leaves have some moisture or water on them. Rip them into thin long strands or smaller depending on how big your beardie is. Gently rub the leave by his mouth, just by his lips. He may lick it, look at it and then try it. I think at our stage, beardies will sometimes eat and othertimes theyre like "nah, I ate a lot yesterday." I'm getting married in a few days, and we have people coming over so I think that's partially why. He just moved in and he's a bit stressed.

btw; my dragons toes does the same thing! I have found that to be perfectly normal. Now for your advice on getting him to eat his greens, he took 7 pieces of colly greens from me tonight. I'm one happy momma. Lol thanks for the advice!

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dreamaliens":1h259yel said:
Selkie1993":1h259yel said:
Dreamaliens":1h259yel said:
Selkie1993":1h259yel said:

106408-7553228461.jpg

Hey there!

btw; my dragons toes does the same thing! I have found that to be perfectly normal. Now for your advice on getting him to eat his greens, he took 7 pieces of colly greens from me tonight. I'm one happy momma. Lol thanks for the advice!

Yay! So glad I helped you out :) As Brandon, one of the moderators told me, your beardie may go through some relocation stress, especially with the borderline abuse he had to deal with at the pet store >_< some days, he will be hungry and others he may need to decompress. I've found that cuddling with my beardie on my chest with a towel over him really calms him down and deepens the bond. I just added you as a friend, so send me updates and pics when you can :)

Selkie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
@dreamaliens---- the 55 gallon tank is good ---- are you taking basking temps w/ a digital probe and or infrared heat gun?? the T 8 you were using is fine --- hang onto it for a back up --- the T 5 can go on top of screen but it needs to be 6-8 inches from basking for it to be on top --- no cover on bulb - it needs to be exposed--- if your putting it inside tank place it 12-15 inches from basking area again no cover on bulb --- it is your choice ---
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
UPDATE:

Drogon ate some larvae today along with 12 crickets o__o I guess with beardies some days they're interested and others they're ravenous. I love feeding him ^_^

Selkie

Dragons have likes and dislikes. My dragon loved BSFL and butterworms then the next order decided he didn't like the BSFL at all and will eat the butterworms reluctantly. Roaches get devoured every time however. So far he has refused crickets too but loves his veggies. Some are picky, some not so much. And it seems it can vary too, so if you can try to reintroduce foods your dragon refused from time to time. Variety is important IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom