Hammock or no hammock??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieGuy24

I'm finally going to get a beardie :D :D and I'm wondering whether or not I should put a hammock in his/her cage. What are the pros and cons? Is it safe?

Hikari

Hammocks are fine. It's recommended you get some made out of fabric instead of the mesh as to reduce the risk if their claws getting stuck in it. I bought a mesh hammock before I knew any better, so I just lined it with a fleece cover after the fact, and she's never had any issues with it.

It's also super easy to make a hammock out of fleece. Get some strong enough suction cups with hooks, and some fleece. Cut the fleece to the shape and size you want. Snip some holes in the corners and stick the suction cup hooks through, and hang it up! If you want to reinforce the corners, you can also get things like eyelets or grommets as well (probably unneeded unless you have a hefty dragon). You can also use lighter fabrics like cottons and flannels, but you'll need to hem them as they'll fray otherwise, and the corners will need reinforced or they'll tear eventually. Fleece doesn't fray, and is sturdier, so it's less of a hassle to work with.

They also make hammocks for beardies made of woven seagrass, but they tend to be on the pricier side, and I'm cheap. I've heard decent things about those too though.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
I have a juvenile in a hammock under a basking and UVB lamp and he loves it!

Personally, I would caution against potentially flammable material, especially if you're going to use it under a really hot basking bulb.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
BeardieGuy24":xw2f47w4 said:
I'm finally going to get a beardie :D :D and I'm wondering whether or not I should put a hammock in his/her cage. What are the pros and cons? Is it safe?
I found some great ones from BigDaddyDsDragonEmp on Etsy. Lots of choices and good prices!

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Selkie1993":3cq4tw6y said:
I have a juvenile in a hammock under a basking and UVB lamp and he loves it!

Personally, I would caution against potentially flammable material, especially if you're going to use it under a really hot basking bulb.
The flash points of most textiles are over 400*F. Temps that high would kill the beardie long before any fabric caught fire...

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
To hammock or not to hammock, That Is the question!!

I shall say... To Hammock!

Lest Not use the mesh counterparts however, Thyne fabric definitely triumphs over mesh.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
HippieLizards":1vo6she9 said:
To hammock or not to hammock, That Is the question!!

I shall say... To Hammock!

Lest Not use the mesh counterparts however, Thyne fabric definitely triumphs over mesh.
??

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Lol, glad I could give someone a good chuckle. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom