Can I paint my beardies nails with non toxic nail polish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamlyn94

I was just wondering because I've been seeing some pictures on Facebook of people who have been painting their beardies nails. Would a polish like piggy paint be ok to use on her?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That will definitely kill her street cred :lol:

But it would be totally unharmful. It might be a long shot, just make sure she doesn't mistake her toes for food if they are brightly colored.

-Brandon

Hikari

Ugh, why must you tempt me so? My beardie would probably sit still and let me paint her nails too, lol. Also, I didn't know that Piggy Paint brand existed. That's actually pretty good to know for myself. Always hated that regular nail polish smell.

Tamlyn94

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's replies and opinions! I think I will try to paint her nails for Halloween and Christmas :lol:

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
I know I'm new to ownership here, but I would advise against it. Reptiles are so sensitive that I would be scared to affect them with any chemicals. Just remember that because it says it's non toxic, that refers to people, not beardies :)

Selkie

jzollie91

Yes, bearded dragon nails are the same as human nails so it's perfectly safe. They might not appreciate how long it takes to dry, etc. but it is generally safe. However, the fumes of the polish are enough to make an adult human turn their head, make sure that your using children nail polish, even tough it peels off weirdly, the smell is much less disturbing as opposed to regular nail polish!

jzollie91

(Message two) I wouldn't make a habit of it (refer back to message one for details) but yes it is mostly safe. Personally, (this is just my opinion with my dragon but all are different) I wouldn't just in case she thinks its food or tries to scratch it off on a rock and accidentally damages her nail, etc. For me and my dragon, there's just so many negative possibilities that I just wouldn't bother painting her little nails, getting her to sit still for them to dry (the easy part), and then hoping she doesn't damage them and herself.That's just my preference but if you do, use children nail polish that's non toxic with little to no fumes.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with the nay sayers. Beardies can get fixated on and bite colorful things and they do not feel a lot of pain in their toes + tail. It could turn out to be trouble .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom