Beardie tail is soft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc555

98039-5051307781.jpg
My beardie is a year and a half old now, in the past month two claws have fallen off, the first one i assumed was an accident but once the second one fell off I was concerned and thought he needed more calcium or D3, now ive realized he isnt trying to get shed off of his tail, and his tail is very soft, this is very concerning to me. His lighting is a Powersun UV 160W. Hes still eating and is active, help would be appreciated thanks. This picture shows the discoloration from his tail to his body.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like he has some patches about to shed (including a large portion of his tail) but it looks like a normal shed to me. Sometimes the shed patches can take a long time to free themselves but this is normal. I don't see anything concerning based on the photo.

Has the area around the injured claws healed over completely since the injury? Hopefully they have so the risk of infection is lessened.

jc555

Original Poster
Thats good news, however his tail is seriously soft, it feels like its just liquid. His areas around his injured claws have healed completely. Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It shouldn't feel like liquid. There should be bone and muscle and fat stores. If it feels too squishy it might be worth having an x-ray taken to make sure everything is OK internally.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How much give is there when you push on the tail? Would you be able to get a picture?

Some dragons hold a lot of fat in their tails, which would make them feel squishy.

However if he's lost bone density due to a lack of calcium absorption (improper uv exposure and/or calcium in the diet) then the bone could have been leeched enough that it's very thin, causing the squishy feeling.

How close is the powersun to his basking surface?
When is the last time it was replaced?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom