Watery Poop-Any Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paamar27

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, but I've been reading this discussion forum for about a year now (since I got my beardie) and am so grateful for all the info that's on this site! Anyway, you all seem super knowledgable so I thought I'd put this out there.

My beardie, Lizardo, is a little over two years old. She has a 40 gal tank, tile substrate, ceramic heat emitter, basking light, and UVB tube lamp. It was pretty humid in there this summer so I bought a small dehumidifier that has been doing the trick. I feed her collards and veggies twice a day and mealworms and crickets several times a week. She poops about once a day/every two days. She is pretty healthy and I haven't really worried about her until about a few months ago when she started pooping these super watery poops. I took her to the vet a month ago and she does not have a parasite or anything like that, he gave her some meds (I can't remember what kind but I can look) but that didn't do the trick. I am going to take her to a different exotics vet this Friday but wanted to see if anyone here has had any experience with this or has any advice-just in case this vet also isn't helpful.

Thank everyone!
106409-8229884663.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is the UVB? What are her basking temps and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun digital probe or stick ons? So the watery poops have been on going for months correct?
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If parasites have been ruled out, it could be diet related. You might try changing the veges you offer and see if that makes any difference. Is she acting alert and healthy otherwise? My dragon has similar messy poops and has for years but we haven't gotten to the bottom of it. It doesn't seem to slow him down or bother him and I just offer plenty of hydrating veges (he loves squash in particular) to keep replenishing his water supply.

paamar27

Original Poster
The UVB is probably about 2 years old so I should probably switch that out soon.. I can't remember off the top of my head what all the exact lamps and everything she has, but I remember researching super thoroughly. And I only have the stick ons so it's not super exact. I'll review the forums on exact temps, lighting, and everything and make those changes if needed ASAP.

Yes, it has been about two months since her poops have been like this.

A few months ago I started feeding her a lot of romaine (I have a rabbit who eats romaine and Lizardo LOVES the romaine). I was thinking that maybe that was it so I switched her back to collards and dandelion greens but it's been about a month since I switched and her poos are still like this. I give her bell pepper, zucchini, and cucumber and have not been giving her fruit at all.

Other than that, she's a super healthy dragon! Her temperament, personality, activity level, etc. haven't changed at all!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that she is still acting healthy. I'd still try some diet tweaks and see how that goes, but I think lighting improvements can also be made. Most UVB bulbs don't maintain their output for 2 years so it's probably worth replacing that. If you can provide distance information from the bulb to her basking spot (and current UVB light) I can help you find a good replacement. I also suggest picking up at least 1 digital thermometer with a probe or an IR temp gun to get some more accurate surface readings. Shoot for basking area temps between about 100-105 with areas around that in the 90s and a cool side surface range of about 75-80 or so. Given UVB improvements and adequate temps, that may help since lighting and heat can directly affect digestion.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the basking temps need to be taken w/ a infrared heat gun or digital probe- heat gun from your local home improvement store $10-12 digital from Pet Smart or Petco $5---------- the UVB if its a T 8 needs to be changed out every 6 months--if its a T 5 once a year --- where is the UVB ? inside tank on top ? This is my guess is way the watery poops - as well as the cucumber it has more hydration than nutritional value- here is a website for nutrition----
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

paamar27

Original Poster
Thanks every one! I changed up her diet a little and bought a new UVB halogen bulb several weeks ago. Her poops are still a bit messy but other than that she's still alert and acting normal. I spoke with my vet and he recommended a fecal transplant. Anyone know anything about this? Just curious.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
A fecal transplant? What is that? A fecal test I have heard to test for parasites-- is her poop smell something to drive you from room?
Karrie

paamar27

Original Poster
Yes! The poo smell is a nightmare! Ugghh! I usually have to clean it up immediately. I've been trying to bathe her every couple of days so she poops in the water-easier to clean.

A fecal transplant is where they put healthy poo from a healthy bearded dragon and transplant it into the sick beardie. The hope is that the healthy poo will provide healthy gut flora in the sick beardie. It's a procedure that they do in humans who have specific types of stomach issues. I think at this point it is probably still experimental in animals but I haven't done much research yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I have not heard of that and I am going to let some one else like TracieDrache613 advise on that one---- if you can you might want to PM her and ask about that
Karrie

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
paamar27":b2vvvrga said:
Yes! The poo smell is a nightmare! Ugghh! I usually have to clean it up immediately. I've been trying to bathe her every couple of days so she poops in the water-easier to clean.

A fecal transplant is where they put healthy poo from a healthy bearded dragon and transplant it into the sick beardie. The hope is that the healthy poo will provide healthy gut flora in the sick beardie. It's a procedure that they do in humans who have specific types of stomach issues. I think at this point it is probably still experimental in animals but I haven't done much research yet.
That seems extreme. Seems like probiotics would be a noninvasive way to accomplish the same thing, but as Karrie suggested, see what Tracie says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom