Is Brumation Necessary?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Is Brumation Necessary?

Postby Selkie1993 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:31 am

Hi Everyone!

New beardie owner. Please see this post to learn what changes I made since my baby Drogon wasn't kept in the best conditions with his previous owner:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251767

I keep seeing a lot of posts on brumation. While I realize this is a reptile's hibernation, do they have to go into brumation? Is it normal or an indicator something is wrong? I'd just like to learn a bit more about this since my two care books didn't mention it.

Thanks! :)
Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Is Brumation Necessary?

Postby claudiusx » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 am

Hi Selkie,

No, Brumation isnt necessary, and not even all dragons will go through brumation.

And to confuse you even more, they can go through different degrees of brumation too! Some will sleep for months, only waking up to eat or drink a little bit once or twice. Some sleep for a week or two. And some dont even seem to really sleep, they just hide and get less active than usual.

They are all different and you kind of just have to play it by ear and see what your dragon does :)

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby Selkie1993 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:03 am

Wow!

That's a nice and confusing process xD

Do cold temperatures usually cause brumation or is it at the dragon's will?
Selkie
Selkie1993
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:27 pm

I agree. Only 1 of 3 dragons I've cared for has gone into brumation. Even the ones that do will do so to different extents and at different times (they tend to keep to a fairly similar schedule yearly though). The brumation doesn't seem to be affected by the weather or outdoor temps at all. I haven't figured out what triggers it. A lot of them will start in the middle of summer! :dontknow:
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health