Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

New beardie owner. Please see this post to learn what changes I made since my baby Drogon wasn't kept in the best conditions with his previous owner:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251767

I keep seeing a lot of posts on brumation. While I realize this is a reptile's hibernation, do they have to go into brumation? Is it normal or an indicator something is wrong? I'd just like to learn a bit more about this since my two care books didn't mention it.

Thanks! :)
Selkie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Selkie,

No, Brumation isnt necessary, and not even all dragons will go through brumation.

And to confuse you even more, they can go through different degrees of brumation too! Some will sleep for months, only waking up to eat or drink a little bit once or twice. Some sleep for a week or two. And some dont even seem to really sleep, they just hide and get less active than usual.

They are all different and you kind of just have to play it by ear and see what your dragon does :)

-Brandon

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Wow!

That's a nice and confusing process xD

Do cold temperatures usually cause brumation or is it at the dragon's will?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree. Only 1 of 3 dragons I've cared for has gone into brumation. Even the ones that do will do so to different extents and at different times (they tend to keep to a fairly similar schedule yearly though). The brumation doesn't seem to be affected by the weather or outdoor temps at all. I haven't figured out what triggers it. A lot of them will start in the middle of summer! :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom