Beardie post prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
So about 3 days ago my beardie prolapsed. She is about 3½ years old. Freaked me out and I ran to this site, Google and called the only vet in my area that see exotics. Long story short I couldn't afford a $90 office visit plus whatever the treatment and meds would cost. If it'll ease minds, I've since got insurance for her (didn't know that was a thing) through nationwide.

So the prolapse wasn't too too bad, not nowhere near some of the ones I seen on here and Google. So soaked her bum in sugar water and she immediately defecated. So I know she's not impacted. In fact, she hasn't missed a poop since this happened. It went back in after the sugar water bath and her vent closed up and didn't look swollen anymore but it came right back out the next day. So I gave her another sugar bath and this time, at the direction of YouTube advice, made a paste with sugar and water and applied it. That was yesterday and so far so good. Vent is closed, no visible swelling and she's good.

By the way, through this entire ordeal she hasn't shown any lethargy, stress, discoloration or pain. She's her normal happy self running and jumping off her basking log to greet me at the tank. She still eats normal and everything. However, I noticed today that she is leaking something. It's not urine because she does that when she poops and it's white and solid. This is actually liquid like watery. She's done it twice today and not in her normal spot where she uses the bathroom. She has used the bathroom in the same spot for her entire life. She is doing this on the other side (cool side) of tank. It's got me worried and I was wondering if someone maybe knew what it was. Still haven't figured out why she prolapsed in the first place. Don't think it was impaction or her egg laying. Also don't think it was a lack of uvb...but just in case I went and bought her a brand new bulb today. I know for a fact it's not a calcium deficiency. Only thing I can think of is internal parasites but where would she get them from? I don't feed her wild insects. I guess some of her fruits and veggies or insects could have been bought contaminated. Just praying she doesn't prolapse again cause I read if it happens once it's likely to happen again. But what is she leaking????

Her set up is...

40g breeder
160w exoterra solar glo bulb with heat and uvb
She gets her d3/calcium dusted on the crickets, roaches and super worms every 3rd feeding
Had her on calcium sand but since this changed to newspaper
She eats a wide variety of fruits and veggies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The leaking may be urate with some water. It can sometimes appear liquid like that. Does she appear to strain when she poops? I would offer soft foods for a little while to make it easier for her digestion and not put pressure on her prolapse. As you said, it's more likely to happen again so give it time to heal. It's good that you were able to return the prolapse tissue quickly. Hopefully this will be the end of it. If the soft foods don't help then a vet may need to add some stitches to keep it in place for now.

BeArDi3lOv3r4LiF3

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1v77sz1o said:
The leaking may be urate with some water. It can sometimes appear liquid like that. Does she appear to strain when she poops? I would offer soft foods for a little while to make it easier for her digestion and not put pressure on her prolapse. As you said, it's more likely to happen again so give it time to heal. It's good that you were able to return the prolapse tissue quickly. Hopefully this will be the end of it. If the soft foods don't help then a vet may need to add some stitches to keep it in place for now.

Ok thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on a good soft food? Squash perhaps and should I continue feeding insects? I know the exoskeleton can be a bit hard.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Squash is a good option. I'd avoid shelled bugs for a little while. You could even move to some baby food and see how that goes. That would provide nutrients but be much easier to digest. Soft bugs like silk worms and black soldier fly larvae might be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom