Cage cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys! I just got a new beardie and I have a question about terrarium/tank cleaning. Can you use hot water and an anti bacterial soap without fragrance? Or is there a specific cleaning solution? I know with fish, you can’t use soap. Obviously I know he’s a reptile and not a fish, lol but I just want to make sure I’m doing everything the correct way. Any tips would help sooo much. :blob5:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think you'll run into quite the sensitivity to soap that you would with fish. That said, there are some tried and true methods I recommend. I usually clean up using vinegar. I spray the enclosure and let it sit for a little while, then wipe it down with paper towels. This works well for spot cleaning too. Then once the surfaces are clean, I sanitize by spraying F10 and letting that sit for around 10 minutes. It can be wiped up or let to air dry. You can also use a steam cleaner to sanitize things (and bake wood or tile in the oven at around 250f to sanitize). I find F10 works well and a bottle of concentrate lasts a very long time. https://beanfarm.com/products/f10sc-veterinary-disinfectant-100-ml-3-4-oz

Dreamaliens

Original Poster
CooperDragon":26oi2d4g said:
I don't think you'll run into quite the sensitivity to soap that you would with fish. That said, there are some tried and true methods I recommend. I usually clean up using vinegar. I spray the enclosure and let it sit for a little while, then wipe it down with paper towels. This works well for spot cleaning too. Then once the surfaces are clean, I sanitize by spraying F10 and letting that sit for around 10 minutes. It can be wiped up or let to air dry. You can also use a steam cleaner to sanitize things (and bake wood or tile in the oven at around 250f to sanitize). I find F10 works well and a bottle of concentrate lasts a very long time. https://beanfarm.com/products/f10sc-veterinary-disinfectant-100-ml-3-4-oz
Okay awesome. I really appreciate your response. :) /My mom cleans with vinegar and mentioned it as well, but I wasn’t too sure of it. I’ll definitely look into the f10. How long does that typically last you?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The vinegar does a nice job of loosening solids so they can be picked up off of a surface. It also provides a bit of acidity which can act as a mild antimicrobial. The F10 works well to finish the job and sanitize the cleaned surface. A little bottle like that lasts me for at least a year or two. You wind up using about 3ml per 25oz spray bottle of water which will fill a spray bottle a little over 30 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom