Adjusting lighting schedule based on behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the timers for Alduîn, our young bearded dragon with MBD, set to turn the lights on at 0600 and off at 2000 (so 14 on/10 off). However, Alduîn consistently tries to go to sleep between 1800 and 1900, usually by pushing himself into a corner of the tank or, more recently, burying himself beneath Fluff Mountain:

106082-8602631432.jpg

He also tends to sleep for at least an hour after the lights turn on -- and sometimes even two or three hours, though we try to gently wake him up before too long.

Are our lighting hours too long for the little guy? Do you adjust your times based on the dragon's behavior, or just have them "deal with it"?

With thanks,
Aaron

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Follow his lead---- if hes going to bed earlier I would shut them off - take the Q from him
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
12 12 is ok. I wouldn't go much lower then that though.

I'd keep the lights on time the same, but probably cut the off time back 1 hour for now.

Or you can really just leave it be. My crew has been going through phases where they want to sleep 2 or 3 hours before lights off. But it comes and goes in cycles.
I'm currently running 6am on 9pm off.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How old is he ?

If he's under 1 year old , I'd keep the lights and heat on the longer cycle , as he's too young to be allowed to brumate in his first winter.
It's OK if he naps while the lights and heat are on, he's growing while napping and needs the heat to keep his metabolic rate up.

skyfishcafe

Original Poster
Karrie, Brandon, and kingofnobbys, thanks for your responses. As always, there seem to be as many "correct" approaches as there are dragons :)

kingofnobbys":19wxd3rw said:
How old is he ?
He's only about 4 months old. My main concern is that his very limited mobility (can only push/drag himself along on his stomach) might make it difficult for him to get out of his basking area or into a hide if he is tired of the bright lights. I've tried adjusting the decor so that he has plenty of safe hides available (fluff mountain being the most recent addition). Now I'm just watching for behavioral cues about what he may want/need.

With thanks,
Aaron

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
skyfishcafe":121l2z7t said:
Karrie, Brandon, and kingofnobbys, thanks for your responses. As always, there seem to be as many "correct" approaches as there are dragons :)

kingofnobbys":121l2z7t said:
How old is he ?
He's only about 4 months old. My main concern is that his very limited mobility (can only push/drag himself along on his stomach) might make it difficult for him to get out of his basking area or into a hide if he is tired of the bright lights. I've tried adjusting the decor so that he has plenty of safe hides available (fluff mountain being the most recent addition). Now I'm just watching for behavioral cues about what he may want/need.

With thanks,
Aaron

4 months old is WAY TOO YOUNG to be allowed to bromate.

If he mobility issues, difficulties climbing, a very flat layout safer for him , no branches , rocks or hammocks , just his hide or a warm and cool hide and adjust the basking lamp and UV source accordingly.

skyfishcafe

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3b25uwh6 said:
4 months old is WAY TOO YOUNG to be allowed to bromate.

If he mobility issues, difficulties climbing, a very flat layout safer for him , no branches , rocks or hammocks , just his hide or a warm and cool hide and adjust the basking lamp and UV source accordingly.

Yes, we completely agree -- and we're certainly not trying to encourage brumation. He has a warm hide and a cool hide but rarely moves out of the basking site except to hide and sleep in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom