Bearded Dragon Swollen Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewAhani

Original Poster
I see she hasn't laid any eggs in her life, the previous x-ray done about a month ago showed no signs of eggs. Should we reduce calcium dusting? We do it every day. She's still having swollen eyes. Attached are the current pictures and the setup, we removed the branch so she's further away from the basking light, and changed the basking light to a 150W bulb.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/16929/full
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/16933/full
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/16931/full
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/16935/full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did you get the honey ? Manuka honey is supposed to be good ---- also do you plan on upgrading her tank? She looks really big for that size tank you have her in? As far as the calcium someone else will haft to weigh in on that one
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Were you using calcium with D3 ? If so, use oit just 2X a week, very lightly on her bugs and then get the calcium without D3 for the other 2 days. Have you gotten any raw honey or Terramycin for her eyes ? Keep in mind that some swellings may take a long time to go down while others go down more quickly. Poor girl !

MatthewAhani

Original Poster
Oh yes it's with d3, I guess I have been using it wrong oh no....I dust it everyday. Ok will immediately switch to 2 days calcium with d3 2 days without. I was wondering what is the mixture ratio for the honey and warm water and how would I go about applying it? Thank you guys so much for helping. We are doing everything we can.. We have no current plans to replace the tank although we really want to due to the unavailability of one where we stay (Vancouver, BC). So to get a bigger tank, we would need to ship it and all the extra cost is something we are unable to afford at the moment..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just a very tiny bit of water, the ratio is about 1 part honey to 2 parts water roughly but it doesn't need to be an exact measurement and it's impossible to get it exact since they are completely different consistencies. You can use a Q-tip or a syringe, whichever works best for you. I've used a Q-tip in the past on my dragon's eye, 2-3 X a day.

MatthewAhani

Original Poster
I see, so just rubbing at the bare eyeballs. And what do I do if she closes her eyes, which I'm sure she would, do I continue rubbing? The duration would be like 10mins I'm assuming? Do I also rinse it afterwards, or leave it?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh I'm sorry, should have explained it better. You just dab it on, it will be like putting eye drops in. Just get a decent little glob of it + put it right on very gently without rubbing at all, takes about a second.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing tonight?
For now, go ahead & stop giving any D3 at all right now to let her system try to detox. She has
probably gotten way too much D3 & her body has some toxicity issues perhaps. Be sure to keep
her hydrated too, as best you can.
Let us know how using the honey works for her.

Tracie

MatthewAhani

Original Poster
Thank you AHBD, will get on it tomorrow.
Thank you Drache613, we will stop for a month without D3, so 4 days of calcium dusting without D3 per week? The blended veggie blend will keep her hydrated for sure. Will keep you guys updated with photos after the next few days.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, you can give calcium with no D3 2-3 days per week, on one dusting/meal per day
for her. Since she is an adult that should be sufficient.
How is she doing tonight?
I hope she likes the veggie blend! Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

MatthewAhani

Original Poster
Hi Drache613, we have already begun the veggie blend, and starting her on calcium without d3 from wednesday, with interval every monday, wednesday, and friday. Here's a quick update, something weird happened between yesterday and today. At night, her left eye begun to swell up excessively, here's the photo:

106357-8424504040.jpg

But just in the day, her left eye "deflated" as shown here:

106357-1191283157.jpg

Her right eye still remained the same swollen size. Not sure what is going on.. Also, could I get the brand of calcium without d3, my local petstore do not carry any.
UPDATE: Her left eye begun to swell back slightly again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, ok!
What brand of calcium are you using?
Which greens are you giving her?
So the right eye is not swelling, but, the left eye is?
I hope we can get this figured out soon. Process of elimination, it could be kidney related &
or possibly just something she is having a reaction to like a food or supplement.

Tracie

MatthewAhani

Original Poster
Right now, we are using Rep-Cal with D3, however we don't have yet the one without D3 so any suggestions on what we should get would be appreciated. Both eyes are still swollen unfortunately, the deflation only occured for a short period of time, they are now back to the usual swollen size. We already changed the diet to blended veggies, her protein still remained the same. So it seemed unlikely that it was anything food related, should we get her another blood test?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, I would stop all of the calcium with D3 right now. She could be having hypervitaminosis
issues. You had mentioned this all started somewhat suddenly?
The only other things it could be would be an abscess in the upper nasal area, or eye cavity
area or a blocked & or infected sinus or eye duct region.
When was her last blood test?

Tracie

MatthewAhani

Original Poster
We just stopped calcium with D3, so I'm thinking if we should wait at least 2 weeks to see if the swelling persists? If it does, we will probably get a vet appointment and mention the possibility of abscess. Her last blood test was done in April, I posted the results earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom