UVB light on screen or Below???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mflav

Hello everybody my Oscar has a T5 HO 10.0 reptisun 22” UVB light. As of right now I have it on top of the screen but I was told that takes away 50% of UVB entering into the tank. Do you suggest I cut out that part of the screen below it or I just leave it as is? The brand said it’s fine to be on top of the screen but I keep hearing otherwise any advice would help and I’m sure Oscar would appreciate it
106350-3361868821.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As long as basking spot is 12-15 inches on top of screen and cover is off the bulb meaning bulb is exposed it should be fine where it is--- the T 8 bulb is not as strong and would need to be inside the tank
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Currently, how far is your bulb from the basking surface?
That will determine what you want to do.

The screen doesnt block 50%, more like around 30%

The recommended distance for a t5 unobstructed with a reflector would be 12-15 inches.

Since it being on a screen cuts it around 30%, youd want to be around 9~inches away

So it all depends on your setup and how close your dragon can get to the bulb.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My advise is ALWAYS UNDER the mesh (any mesh) for the UV source and it's hood or dome. NEVER ontop.
The mesh can easily block over 50% the UVA & UVB (especially fine wire mesh) see
effect-of-screens.png

ref http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubemeshtests.htm

You can work out how much UV is blocked
iso-9044-wire-mesh-standard.png

Simple arithmetic
the shading fraction is 1- (G^2/(G+2d)^2) where G is the open length, the d is diameter of the wire.

Mflav

Original Poster
Thanks so much....I measured and it’s exactly 9” from basking above screen ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom