My bearded dragon won’t eat his veggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeganbaileyy

I have a year and 4 month old bearded dragon named Gizmo. And he won’t eat his greens, veggies, and fruits. I’ve offered him every green, veggie, and fruit that are safe for bearded dragons. And the only thing he will eat is watermelon but I don’t give him it all the time because of the sugar content. I’ve also tried giving him his veggies with worms on them but he’s just too smart with good aim and just picks the worms out. I also tried hand feeding him worms and when he’s about to eat the worm I put a piece of green in his mouth but he caught on and refused the worm because he knew I was trying to give him greens. (He still eats his worms when I don’t give him greens) But I mean he’s even picky with his insects. He only eats mealworms and superworms. I MEAN HE WONT EVEN EAT DUBIA ROACHES. He has all the proper lighting and proper housing. I give him calcium with his worms. And I soak him in clean dechlorinated water about 2-3 times a week. His poop is always normal. The only thing I can think of right now to try is to puree the greens and syringe feed him. But, I’m not sure how healthy that is. I love my bearded dragon to death and I want him to be as healthy as possible. I don’t have a reptile vet near me and I don’t feel like paying $100 for them to tell me to just keep doing what I’m doing. Any help is appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well I am at loss for that now that he is so old --- it is best to start getting them to eat greens as babies --- I have one that is 19 months old and he wont touch greens either --- I have a 4 month old now and the breeder taught me a trick as to get them eating as babies and I dont have a issue now w/ Blaze as he eats greens in the morning before his main bugs but then I also put the roaches in the bowl w/ the greens too so he is actually eating both at the same time now - but that is after I have let him eat from the bowl w/ the BSFL and some supers on top------you might try some BSFL
https://symtonbsf.com/ and use these to put on top of his salad - they are a good staple feeder - I would cut back on the supers and meal worms and make sure you add the BSFL on the salad and he sees you do this - the movement will get him to the bowl - you can also get some crickets and disable them and put them in the bowl as well --- so they cant jump out --- try that and see if that doesnt work -- some others on here might have some more ideas --- hes gotten spoiled w / just the supers and the meal worms---
Karrie

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
I agree with Karrie, the superworms/mealworms are like candy to them. If you give a kid candy for meals they are def not going to eat a salad. My friend did the same thing, started feeding exclusively supers for live feedings, now her beardie will only eat supers, refuses greens or any other insect, but unfortunately I don’t think she will do anything about it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

What I always recommend for stubborn adults that are healthy is to stop with the live insects completely until they are eating their salads again.

A healthy dragon wont let itself starve to death, once it gets hungry enough it will eat the salad.
Just offer a salad every day so that he always has food available. Its up to him when he will stop being stubborn.

They really are pretty smart and learn that they can hold out for the food they want. Once you stop that behavior, you can go back to feeding your feeders.

All of my dragons get supers and mealworms, and they also all eat their full salads. It's all about them learning that they can eat both.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom