Beardie passing undigested veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay0818

So today I got home from work, and I found that my beardie Cheeto had passed undigested veggies - specifically what looked like the mango I gave him as a treat. I've noticed it a couple times but it wasnt much - there was a single small piece of bell pepper in his poop a couple times, small enough to be almost entirely hidden inside. The only reason I checked it was because there was just little bit of red peeking out that gave me a scare.

I saw in other threads that if they eat too fast they can pass Phoenix worms without fully digesting them, is it possible they could do it with veggies too? It looks like it's usually things he dives in and eats quickly (bell peppers and mango specifically. I didnt see any of the squash he'd eaten as well.)

My beardie is an 18" 6/7 month old. His basking spot was 96.5F when I measured it today (it was recently cooler in my apartment overall but I didnt measure his temps then because there wasnt any apparent issue those days) and he has a reptisun t8 UVB light mounted 7" above the tank fixture currently under it. He eats superworms (usually about 10 a serving) once or twice a day, dusted withs multivitamins and calcium 5 times a week, and he's had salads of mustard greens, squash and bell peppers for the last couple of weeks, with treats of mango and blackberries every couple of days. He also had grub pie yesterday, because I wasnt able to make it to the store to get more superworms like I had intended to.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Are you sure they were passed undigested and not upchucked ?
Typically takes 2 - 4 days for food to travel through a healthy dragon's GIT .

Temperatures in the viv and how are you measuring them ?
Warm zone (air temperature)
Cool zone (air temperature)
Basking spot ( air and surface temperatures ).
Overnight temperatures.

How long after LIGHTS ON are you feeding the dragon ?
How long before LIGHTS OFF are you feeding the dragon ?

Substrate ?

Superworms are NOT a good staple feeder insect for any dragon, especially not a young juvenile like your's.

Not related but how is the t8 mounted ? ie under or ontop the mesh lid ?

Jay0818

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3bczyhlh said:
Are you sure they were passed undigested and not upchucked ?
Typically takes 2 - 4 days for food to travel through a healthy dragon's GIT .

Temperatures in the viv and how are you measuring them ?
Warm zone (air temperature)
Cool zone (air temperature)
Basking spot ( air and surface temperatures ).
Overnight temperatures.

How long after LIGHTS ON are you feeding the dragon ?
How long before LIGHTS OFF are you feeding the dragon ?

Substrate ?

Superworms are NOT a good staple feeder insect for any dragon, especially not a young juvenile like your's.

Not related but how is the t8 mounted ? ie under or ontop the mesh lid ?

They were definitely passed because they were with urate. He last had mango a couple days ago (which is what it primarily was) so I figured he had passed them.

Basking spot is 95F and cool side is 80F, I'm using a ZooMed digital thermometer. I haven't measured overnight temps recently.

The substrate is paper towels, which are changed at least once a day after spot cleaning the bottom with vinegar and water after he poops.

He's had superworms mostly because he wont eat crickets (he never has) and his old staple, dubias, were really hard to come by at the local breeder and I'm no longer in q position that i can have then shipped to me. I want to switch him back (or mix them in to his diet) but I haven't been able to yet. He also gets hornworms as a treat periodically.

The light is mounted under the mesh screen.

Jay0818

Original Poster
Oh, and if I'm home in the morning (which I am 3 or 4 days of the week) he eats about 2 hours after lights on, if I work I leave him with a salad because I dont always know when I will be home. The latest he eats is an hour before lights out, though I try to feed him 2 hours before then.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Basking temp is a bit cold. Id raise it to around 105. That way if he wants to bask somewhere warmer, he has the option.

That being said, mango is a pretty tough fruit to digest anyways, so I wouldn't be too concerned with it passing through not fully digested.
And I've noticed the same thing with bell peppers. I almost always see a bit of bell pepper in the poo if I feed them it. So I wouldn't be concerned about that either :)

-Brandon

Jay0818

Original Poster
claudiusx":1hykn6dq said:
Hi there,

Basking temp is a bit cold. Id raise it to around 105. That way if he wants to bask somewhere warmer, he has the option.

That being said, mango is a pretty tough fruit to digest anyways, so I wouldn't be too concerned with it passing through not fully digested.
And I've noticed the same thing with bell peppers. I almost always see a bit of bell pepper in the poo if I feed them it. So I wouldn't be concerned about that either :)

-Brandon

That's a relief to hear!! I'm working on raising the temperatures - the ambient temperature of my entire apartment was lower than usual recently because the weather suddenly dropped a lot.

The rock in the basking spot at the moment is kind of low, so I might switch it with a taller one.

I'm keeping an eye out to be sure its just those veggies and not any of his feeders. I hadn't noticed any, but I want to be sure.

Jay0818

Original Poster
Small update: He's been a bit warmer and his poops have gone back to normal. There were a couple undigested pieces of mustard greens yesterday in an otherwise completely normal poop, but today everything was fully digested but a bit more moist than usual (which is typically what happens when he has grub pie like he did a couple days ago) He's definitely fully digesting feeders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom