Climbing?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardie has a converted shelving unit as a viv, with a back wall made of expanding foam, as pictured below:
105609-5666371724.jpg

We’ve made some improvements to it but as soon as we put some climbing stuff in there, she jumped up the wall and climbed all the way to the top, as pictured below:
105609-7434247900.jpg
105609-8483699504.jpg

I wouldn’t have a problem with her doing it, but it’s bigger than a 2ft fall from the top- I’m assuming it’s not safe for her to be so high up! So how do I stop her from doing it? Do I put in a small shelf halfway up, so she doesn’t fall?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am sorry to say they need floor space and not height--- I would look at putting her into a different tank or widen the one you have --- I didnt see a UVB so I am assuming there is one and that is maybe why she was climbing so high to get to it --- also the red bulb is bad for her--- colored bulbs hurt their eyes distort their vision and can cause long term eye damage --- she basically has no where to go but up-sorry I just noticed the UVB --- some others can give ideas for your tank
Karrie

beaniethebeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":39ng2ore said:
I am sorry to say they need floor space and not height--- I would look at putting her into a different tank or widen the one you have --- I didnt see a UVB so I am assuming there is one and that is maybe why she was climbing so high to get to it --- also the red bulb is bad for her--- colored bulbs hurt their eyes distort their vision and can cause long term eye damage --- she basically has no where to go but up-sorry I just noticed the UVB --- some others can give ideas for your tank
Karrie

Hi Karrie,
The tank she came with is a 6ft shelving unit split into three levels. There’s a lot of floor space taken up by the backdrop especially on the lower levels. As discussed on another thread, our current plan in progress is removing the middle shelf to create a larger space on the bottom and taking out the black backdrop to create more floor space, as well as filling it with branches and decor for her. There will also be another heat bulb on this level, and a climbing hammock which will allow her to move from the top and the bottom, almost like an upstairs and downstairs. The upstairs is what you saw in the attached pictures above. The only reason we’re focusing on remodelling this vivarium and not buying her a new one is because unfortunately a new one is out of my budget at the moment, especially at the size that she will need. There’s no way to widen this one either, I’m afraid.
We’ve replaced the red bulb with a warm one because I knew the dangers and irritation a red bulb can cause, it’s also a stronger wattage so she can feel the benefit of it- the packaging says it’s good for more vertical vivariums because the heat reaches down further. There is a UVB light which was not featured in the photograph- it overlaps the heat bulb and is an Arcadia tube light, so she has an ideal basking spot. I also replaced the bulb holder so she is a safe distance away from it to reduce the risk of burning whilst also making sure she can feel the heat. We’ve also just now installed a shelf/platform midway up which is closer to the UVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom