Bearded dragon abnormally opening mouth to breathe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I have been watching and handling my adult Citrus Beardie and I've noticed that he breathes only through his mouth. This is definitely not normal for him especially after the 8 years hes been with me. Any reasons for this? He eats great and has no other issues that I can tell. Hes always been alert and bright-eyed, this hasn't changed. He isn't lethargic.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Does he do this all the time or only during certain situations?
Has anything in his environment changed?

Hopefully he isn't having some lung issues. Is there a chance he might have aspirated some water while drinking or in a bath?
Would you be able to post pics of him and your setup? Or go over your setup with us?

-Brandon

Samdoephotography

Original Poster
claudiusx":peg7jwer said:
Hi there,

Hopefully he isn't having some lung issues. Is there a chance he might have aspirated some water while drinking or in a bath?
Would you be able to post pics of him and your setup? Or go over your setup with us?

-Brandon

Hello,

He seems to do it most of the time even when he's out of his cage. I havent changed anything in his cage basically since I got him. He hasn't changed at all and eats fine, its just concerning to see him do this. I will send pictures tomorrow. He does take baths but I leave the temperature around room temp and he is only in the tub for about 10 minutes. I watch him and have the water levels low so that he wont possibly drown.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they can aspirate water in the bath even when we are watching. It happened to one of my girls.
I'm not saying that's what has happened to yours, but it is a possibility.

Do you have a CHE so that you can keep the temps up around 80 overnight? That tends to help keep the immune system active and helps to dry out the lungs a bit too.

-Brandon

Samdoephotography

Original Poster
claudiusx":1hefiq3p said:
Hi there,

-Brandon

106369-2051066151.jpg
106369-585820466.jpg
106369-3976878920.jpg
106369-8528391514.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom