Come on down to Devlyn town everyone

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: Come on down to Devlyn town everyone

Postby DorgEndo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:51 pm

claudiusx wrote:How funny she instantly wanted the dark box haha :)

I also gave her a small amount of soil. Barely had any organic potting soil that was safe to use. I know loose substrate can be controversial, but I have been thinking for awhile now half loose and half tile would be a good choice for my Devlyn. It might be necessary too if she becomes gravid after brumating :shock:

The dirt may have been more appealing than just a big dark box. She shaped the dirt into the perfect little soft bed from nose to tail
DorgEndo
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby claudiusx » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:40 pm

I've been thinking about switching back one of my tanks to sand, just for old times sake and to see how I like it. I originally used sand when I first started, but eventually switched over to tile for cleanliness. The whole impaction issue wasn't really an issue to me.
I do think it gives the dragons some form of enrichment to have at least somewhere to dig or mess around in. But I sometimes wonder if I'm thinking about it simply because it's something I want to try again, or if it's really because I think it's best for the interests of the dragon.

It's a fine line to walk. Over the years I've learned to just let people do what they want, and what makes them happy. There are tons of ways to raise a healthy dragon, just like their are tons of ways to raise a healthy kid. Everyone has their opinions and not everyone is 100% right or 100% wrong.

Oh I'm rambling lol..

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby DorgEndo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:41 am

Devlyn woke up a bit today. She ruined her perfect dirt bed. Kicking dirt everywhere. In her lizard brain I'm sure she figured dirt is what the ground is made of so she thought there would be more...

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

I'll get more organic top soil and I'll get playsand today. Do a 50/50 mix. Make a big pile for the cool side of her tank and put her ramen noodle box back on top, lol
DorgEndo
Hatchling Poster

Postby DorgEndo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:56 pm

Dirt. It happened.

[Click image to enlarge]

Above Devlyn in her teeny dirt pile.
Below, sans Devlyn, adding the big dirt pile!

[Click image to enlarge]

Final step, return the dragon to new big dirt pile, see below

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

She was unsure if she liked it for about a half hour. I put her ramen box back and she thought for a half hour before going back into her box. Then she dug for a solid 3 hours. SOLID. It sounded exactly like a mouse in the wall. My mother-in-law's house is full of mice and my brain keeps thinking I hear mice in my house walls.

She refused water but had a small lick of dirt. Don't eat the dirt Devlyn. Dirt is not food. I know she was only smelling it like a lizard does, still looked funny to see her lick dirt. Smacking her dragon lips something like a dozen times while she smell-tasted the dirt she licked up

Probably won't update for awhile. Sleepy digging dragon seems to be brumating with wake ups just fine
DorgEndo
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:42 pm

Looks like devlyn liked the digging time then! Boy 3 hours? I guess shes built up a bunch of energy with all the sleeping.

Hmm makes me want to give my guys a digging box to play in.

-Brandon
claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie Tales