Baby beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Hello! I got a fancy bearded dragon baby last Sunday, He ate a lot of his mealworms the night I got him, and the next day. But the next day, he refused to eat anything. And I found mealworm skins laying clumped up in his tank, is this something he couldn't digest? He has refused to eat any veggies since I got him. Not sure if this is just relocation stress, or maybe because he is in the process of shedding, but I just want him to be healthy and start eating! Thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

It is very common for them to not eat very much during the first week or two.
As long as your lighting is proper and your temps are proper, he will settle in.

Did we already go over your setup with you?

-Brandon

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
102727-7414246592.jpg
here is his setup. And I did add a large hide. ^.^
102727-2758480530.jpg
Here are his temps right above basking spot
102727-2406766266.jpg
just a pic of my other beardies tank :p

His heat bulb is a Flukers basking bulb, 150 watts.
UVB is a reptisun 10 compact mini bulb (I know I need a T8/T5/T10 and will get one ASAP. For now, I'm using reptile calcium with D3.

He basks perfectly fine, and sleeps in his hide at night.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok good that you will be changing the uvb, it does play a big role in their activity levels and appetites.

Do you have another thermometer or are you relying on the dial? They can be extremely inaccurate. You really want to get a digital with probe end. They are quite cheap. But they allow you to measure your basking surface temp, which is the most important temp.

Even when I tested dial thermometers by removing them from the walls and placing them on the basking surface, I found some to be over 30 degrees off in certain situations, so you really can't rely on them.

But once you make sure your temperature is fine, he should slowly start getting his appetite back. Especially if you change his uvb bulb :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom