Adding full spectrum light...in or out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEStillz

Hey guys. I recently noticed my dragon was noticing his reflection in the glass and decided to do something about it to make him more comfortable. I added fake vines along the glass as a background to cover any reflections that may be freaking him out. He seems to love the vines so far, been climbing all over them. Since adding the vines the ambient light from my apartment is blocked out, leaving the cool side a bit dark. I went out and purchased a two feet full spectrum led light that produces no extra heat. Should be great for my plants and it surely brightens up the viv. My question is...will this added full spectrum led light give off too much uvb which can possible lead to an overdose? I already have the reptisun 10.0 bulb for uvb on top of the screen. If not, can I mount it inside the terrarium so most of the light goes in and doesn’t shine off the top into my room?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Full spectrum led lights wont be giving off any uvb and most likely no uva either.
Which leds did you go with exactly.

The term full spectrum isnt a regulated term, and companies can use it as a fancy label to place on their products.

Full spectrum should mean it's a bulb that mimics the visual spectra of the sun. But most manufactures use it for grow lights that have high spikes in certain wavelengths that are beneficial for plant growth, while being largely deficient in other wavelengths.

Anyways, once you tell us which led you are using, we can hopefully find the spectral analysis for it and let you know if it will be beneficial or not.

It most likely wont be harmful, potentially annoying to your dragon if it has spikes in certain wavelengths that would be unnatural to them.

There is a few threads in the advanced discussion section that go deeper into full spectrum lighting.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for the link :)

So if you look at the last picture (the picture before the video) you'll see the spectra chart. I dont have it handy with me right now, but in those advanced discussion threads you'll see the spectra of the sun's chart looks much different.

I was expecting the spike in blue but not really expecting the red spike. Either way, I doubt it would cause any harm if you want to use it
But its definitely not what I'd consider full spectrum. :)

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would just be sure to use it in conjunction with a high quality UVB light and a good basking light to ensure that the enclosure on a whole is providing (relatively) balanced light.

BEStillz

Original Poster
Ok great! I mounted it inside now and he doesn’t even seem to notice it yet so I guess that means it isn’t bothering him. Thanks for the info guys! Photo added.
106178-3497733227.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BEStillz":2p9jb443 said:
Ok great! I mounted it inside now and he doesn’t even seem to notice it yet so I guess that means it isn’t bothering him. Thanks for the info guys! Photo added.
106178-3497733227.jpg

If it's got any colour other than white in the glow, you've been ripped off and it's not a TRUE FULL SPECTRUM SOURCE.

I'd get rid of it, definitely not suitable in a bearded dragon's enclosure.

BEStillz

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3ngm7c4j said:
BEStillz":3ngm7c4j said:
106178-3497733227.jpg

If it's got any colour other than white in the glow, you've been ripped off and it's not a TRUE FULL SPECTRUM SOURCE.

I'd get rid of it, definitely not suitable in a bearded dragon's enclosure.

He’s actually never been as active since I’ve added it. Ventured to the cool side and started eating the herbs I planted. It’s like a whole new world has opened up for him over there and he seems to love it. I don’t see it causing any issues at this point so I think I’ll leave it in for now.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he is responding well then that's good news =) Just keep watching his behavior as you've been doing and tweak as needed according to his preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom