Is this too much UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How far is the basking area? From what I see I am gonna say yes--- T5's should not be any closer than 12 inches from basking area---
Karrie

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ie5yza6 said:
How far is the basking area? From what I see I am gonna say yes--- T5's should not be any closer than 12 inches from basking area---
Karrie
Should taking off the reflector make things better?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No leave the reflector on --- rays are too strong for that close - I would lower your decor down to 12 inches ---
Karrie

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":rty348kb said:
No leave the reflector on --- rays are too strong for that close - I would lower your decor down to 12 inches ---
Karrie
Doesn’t the reflector just amplify the strength of the uvb? Wouldn’t taking it off lessen it so I could keep things how they are?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
With out the reflector rays are going to be going all over that tank --- does he have a hide in the tank I cant tell --- he will be trying to either escape those rays or he wont sit under it for long -- the T 5 is too close as far as I can tell --- recommended distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Yes you can take off the reflector. It basically doubles its output so the bulb without the reflector can be 6 inches or so away.
The 12 inch distance recommendation is only for an unobstructed t5 with a reflector.
Obstructed with a reflector should be around 8 or 9 inches.
No reflector should be around 6 or so.

Alternatively, you could use the 5.0 t5 with the reflector. As that would effectively half the output too.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, looking at your picture, I've found that the white ceiling acts itself as a reflector too.

So what exactly is the distance from bulb to basking site?

-Brandon

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":i0ihxc37 said:
Actually, looking at your picture, I've found that the white ceiling acts itself as a reflector too.

So what exactly is the distance from bulb to basking site?

-Brandon
Bulb to the spot is exactly 12. Bulb to him if he’s sitting there is like 11

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, well if bulb to basking spot is 12 inches already, dont worry about it I was under the impression that it was closer than that.

12 inches is what you want for the t5 with a reflector on it.

Only critique I'd have is moving it to be more over the basking area. That way the basking surface has the highest heat and highest uv exposure in the tank.

-Brandon

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":151op0gg said:
Oh, well if bulb to basking spot is 12 inches already, dont worry about it I was under the impression that it was closer than that.

12 inches is what you want for the t5 with a reflector on it.

Only critique I'd have is moving it to be more over the basking area. That way the basking surface has the highest heat and highest uv exposure in the tank.

-Brandon
That wouldn’t be possible as the uvb would be about 7-8 inches above the basking spot. I honestly should have made my enclosure taller

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I did the same thing with my first build. On paper I thought It made sense to not make it so tall. Wish I had made it a standard 2 feet tall once I was done lol. All my builds since then have been 2 feet tall.

If you got the 5.0 t5 you could move it over the basket site.
Or you could move it to be inline with the basking site but mounted near the back so that you still get your distance correct.

The main reasoning being that just like a temp gradient, you want a uv gradient. And you want the lowest levels of uv to be on the cooler end as that's more natural. How it is now, it's kind of in the middle which doesnt allow for a gradient, and alsondoesnt allow for areas of lower uv exposure. If it was more near the hot end, the cooler end would be further from it which would provide a much needed area of escape from the rays if your dragon chooses so.

-Brandon

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2stgjnvr said:
I did the same thing with my first build. On paper I thought It made sense to not make it so tall. Wish I had made it a standard 2 feet tall once I was done lol. All my builds since then have been 2 feet tall.

If you got the 5.0 t5 you could move it over the basket site.
Or you could move it to be inline with the basking site but mounted near the back so that you still get your distance correct.

The main reasoning being that just like a temp gradient, you want a uv gradient. And you want the lowest levels of uv to be on the cooler end as that's more natural. How it is now, it's kind of in the middle which doesnt allow for a gradient, and alsondoesnt allow for areas of lower uv exposure. If it was more near the hot end, the cooler end would be further from it which would provide a much needed area of escape from the rays if your dragon chooses so.

-Brandon
He can escape it. On the cold side in the corner, he likes to hide behind that chunk of wood I have there. It’s pretty much a cave behind it

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a nice looking tank, very bright.
It's so difficult getting the lighting all correct. As suggested, you could take the reflector out
or try to lower the basking somehow. What type of basking light are you using?
Is he liking his environment?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom