New Baby Beardie: Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunalern

So I had been wanting a bearded dragon for a long time, but I decided to wait until I was an adult and all that good stuff. So recently I did get a beardie! He was a little younger than I was hoping as I know babies require a bit more care and become much more easily stressed, but I've been trying to make some lifestyle changes in order to be able to be the best lizard parent.

So I got him on the 11th and it is now the 16th. The day after I got him he started to shed which is fine but I'm just worried being in a new enclosure and the shed will continue to stress him out.

He's at the end of his shed right now and is definitely showing stress marks, but he's active and actually has a pretty healthy appetite and is pooping regularly.

Are there any tips for baby beardies that I should know that will maximize comfort and minimize stress? I'm working on getting a better basking light cause I feel like the one I have right now is getting me in the minimum ranges I need and I have a laser thermometer on the way in the mail so I can better regulate his temperatures more accurately than just the ones i have stuck inside the tank.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! :)

JIMMIA

Juvie Member
Hello and welcome to the forum, we are all happy to have you hear as much we love seeing and hearing about people and their fabulous adventures with beardies! you can upload pictures via this link “ https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/:) so some tips with babies is 1) don’t be afraid to pick them up (the more the better because than could it get use to it), 2) good temperatures 3) good diet of fresh fruit and vegetables everyday every night 4) reward them with fresh bugs 5) make sure have steady 13 hour light fase 5) enjoy yourself have fun :) :) :)

this is my jimmia
98861-8509104834.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We love to see pictures here!
Feel free to post some pictures of your new girl, along with your tank setup, too. It helps
us to see how things are arranged in the tank so we can be sure the lighting & temperatures
are all correct.

Tracie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new baby! :mrgreen:

Best tip I have is to spend some free time reading here, and to ask questions when you have them! :)

-Brandon

lunalern

Original Poster
Drache613":29dtfz7c said:
Hello,

We love to see pictures here!
Feel free to post some pictures of your new girl, along with your tank setup, too. It helps
us to see how things are arranged in the tank so we can be sure the lighting & temperatures
are all correct.

Tracie

Happy to oblige!
This is my current set up and bulbs (I have a deep dome fixture).
(Sorry the photos are kind of low quality my laptop is having a hard time converting for the websites photo uploader)

full

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum--------------- I was looking at your tank and it looks like its a 30 gal? Its very tall ---- first thing I have noticed and recommend is you get rid of the coil UVB your using- they are not very good for UVB --- I am assuming your going to upgrade your tank soon --- I would recommend getting a tank as big as you can afford and w/ front doors - you can look on line at FB marketwatch or craigslist - what ever you decide to do but the bigger the tank the better--- or you can get some recommendations from people on the forum as well or if your a good carpenter they DIY board is a good place to start as well ---- as far as UVB I would get one that is going to be used for your next tank size so depending on the tank size you can get two different bulbs--- either the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 for smaller tanks like a 40 gallon or a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for larger tanks -- what ever you decide to do but I definitely change out your UVB----
Karrie

lunalern

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2rd13ymt said:
Welcome to the forum--------------- I was looking at your tank and it looks like its a 30 gal? Its very tall ---- first thing I have noticed and recommend is you get rid of the coil UVB your using- they are not very good for UVB --- I am assuming your going to upgrade your tank soon --- I would recommend getting a tank as big as you can afford and w/ front doors - you can look on line at FB marketwatch or craigslist - what ever you decide to do but the bigger the tank the better--- or you can get some recommendations from people on the forum as well or if your a good carpenter they DIY board is a good place to start as well ---- as far as UVB I would get one that is going to be used for your next tank size so depending on the tank size you can get two different bulbs--- either the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 for smaller tanks like a 40 gallon or a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 for larger tanks -- what ever you decide to do but I definitely change out your UVB----
Karrie

Thanks for all the info!

Yeah the tank is what I had on hand from when our leopard gecko was a baby. I'm looking at a 40 gal right now (with the front doors cause I think it's the most convenient). Although I might skip the door function for now so I can focus on a much larger DIY enclosure in the future. This one is actually a 20 gallon.

I've had a couple recommendations of the reptisun 10.0's so I'm definitely going to order one of those here in the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom