Tail questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i have a bearded dragon that has been passed around by many people before he ended up with me so i dont know anything about his past. His tail is shorter than it should be and i was just curious if anyone has any idea how he may have gotten it. im thinking maybe tail rot or another beardie bit it off but not sure which is more likely. what do you guys think it could be?
101002-1647903887.jpg
101002-8319814335.jpg
101002-7842813641.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here is some info on tail rot
Causes of tail rot are:
1. Injuries/trauma - caused by falls, or by any other bearded dragon.
2. Malnourished - make sure he has a balanced diet and he gets the nourishment he needs
How to identify tail rot:
1. Dried out - Decaying tail won't be able to retain moisture, check if it's dried out completely.
2. Very thin, brittle - Decaying tail won't be able to process nourishment, causing it to become more thin and brittle.
What to do after finding out it has a tail rot:
1. Go to a vet - very recommended
Check and see if any of this applies and some other on here can look and see what they think
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some beardies that lacked enough calcium but didn't quite develop MBD to a damaging extent can end up with a wavy tail. That's all it looks like from the pics + it's not harmful. The end piece fell off a while ago but healed up. If the end starts looking worse you can definitely have an experienced vet look at it . If it puts your mind at ease you can have it checked anyway but it looks O.K. :)

ohlookitssatan

Original Poster
yeah i figured out the wavey part was probably due to MBD since he has been through some tough times of not proper care with his previous owners. i was just curious on knowing what could have caused that injury at the end of his tail.

also its never been an issue luckily and ive had him for over a year now so im not worried about something being wrong with him otherwise

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, both scenarios are possible, it's common for babies bite each others tails so that's highest on the list. Tail rot in the past is also possible but either way it's all healed up nicely . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom