can parasites be induced

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Hey guys I'm freaking out.
I just tried to feed my bearded dragon red runners & I feel like I stressed him out
He didnt go for them & they are just way too quick.
Can you induce parasites through stress is that even possible?

& How long do parasites stick to an environment?
Like if it was on my floor in my room or on my temp gun for example how long would coccidia be present

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

A lot of times dragons will have parasites present in their systems, but a normal healthy immune system can keep them in check and the numbers low enough to not pose any real issue. During times of stress the bodys immune system is weakened and parasite numbers can potentially climb, but they typically will fall back to normal levels once the dragon isn't stressed.

As far as how long parasites can stick around an environment, it all depends on the parasite. If you are worried about parasites being on a surface, cleaning should be sufficient to kill/remove any potential parasites.

Why are you worried about parasites from the red runners?

-Brandon

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Not worried about parasites from the red runners.

I had dealt with parasites last year with my adult.
So I was wondering if they could 'be sticking around' like still in the house or if they had died due to not having a host. I'm talking about coccidia mainly

Or if parasites could be induced through stressful situations.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No the parasites won't magically appear in your dragon out of no where. The dragon would have to be exposed to them.

And if it's been a year, I wouldn't worry at all.

-Brandon

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Okay thanks
I just get way too OCD sometimes over things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom