Not eating Veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Hello! I recently got a baby fancy beardie from a pet store. He is very healthy, and eats his insects very well. However, I can't seem to get him to eat his veggies. I've tried putting his insects on his vegetables, but he just picks them out. How can I get him to eat his veggies? :blob8:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum--- so let me ask did you get a "Kit" from the store --- if you did I am guessing some of the stuff in the kit is not any good -- if you can give us a rundown of what your tank is consisting of lighting etc especially the UVB we can help ---- as far as getting your little guy to eat his vegies here is what I do ----
First feed him vegies in the morning --- add a 1-3 small super worms if you can get them on his salad and have them in a bowl so they cant get out along w/ some BSFL - here is a website for them -https://symtonbsf.com/-- they are small and do not need to be dusted as they are a staple feeder and are calcium enriched --- add as many as you want - the movement will get him to bowl - make sure he sees you putting the bugs on his salad - it will get his attention -- let him eat from bowl for around 30 minutes or so then add your bugs to the vegies bowl --- are you using crickets ? I use dubias so they cant get out either ----- try that see how it works ---
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Baby dragons that eat veggies are very rare. From hatchling to juvenile they need more protein (aka bugs) than veggies and, most dragons don't eat them till they're close to a year old, so dont fret over it. Just offer it every day and he will eventually see it as food.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

All of my babies and juvies eat salad and salad items. It is pretty important for them to get the nutrients that salad items provide.
I make it a conscious effort to get them to start eating their salads from day 1.

While it is true that growing babies do need a decent amount of protein to fuel their growth, that's only focusing on part of the picture. The big picture is good health. And that's achieved by a proper diet of a variety of bugs, and a variety of salad items.

So you are right to be trying to get your little guy to eat his salad.
Putting worms on it like karrie suggested is a good method.
Giving them it first thing in the morning is another good method.

What I've always done and it's worked for the hundreds of babies I've raised and the dozen or so older dragons I've raised is to give them their salad in the morning, and then much later in the day, I give them their feeders. Yes, this means that sometimes the youngins only get 1 feeder meal per day, but they start eating their salads pretty quickly. And once they are eating their salads they start to get their 2 or so insect feedings a day again.

Another trick is using brightly colored vegies. Red bell pepper seems to be a favorite. Once they realize the salad is food, and that they will still get feeders, their appetites grow along with their bodies and their health :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Mine is eating vegies - I got this from the breeder--- as this is how she feeds her babies--- if you dont start off w/ vegies and only offering vegies by them selves w/ out the help of attraction they wont eat them--- I have a dragon that I did that w/ now hes 19 months old and will not touch vegies --- I am kicking myself now for not getting this tip earlier and did not want to make the same mistake w/ this new one-- I offer vegies every day to my older one and he will not eat them --- as for my 3 month old hes eating both and gaining weight like crazy--- that is why it is important to get them to eat vegies now so when he gets older and the diet flips to vegies 80% and bugs 20% there wont be a shock to him
Karrie

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks to all of you! I will start by adding red peppers and bright colored things, then if that doesn't work, cut down on the insects until he starts eating veggies. Does this sound okay?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No I would not cut down on the insects -- just offer the vegies first w/ added super worms or BSFL-- they are a staple and will get him to that bowl--- then you can either feed the staple feeder either in the morning like I do or wait till afternoon like Brandon does - its your choice but dont cut down on the insects - the BSFL are also a good staple feeder so he will be getting staples w/ those fed to him too --along w/ the vegies
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your plan sounds fine. Like I said, that's how I've done it with stubborn eaters :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom