Going to sleep really early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Hi all, so Kai is 3 1/2 months old, so I know he's not going into brumation. Lately he has been going to sleep super early, like at 3 pm. Lights on at 7-730. So that means that he's only awake for 7-8 hours. When he is awake he's totally normal, still eating and pooping. But the early bedtime means he's been skipping dinner. His set up has already been approved on another post. I'm really thinking its just the time of year + him growing like a weed. He's putting on about 20 g a week and is already 160+ g (haven't weighed him this week yet). Thoughts?
Also, would it be ok to wake him up? I don't want him to hate us..it just sucks my son loves getting him out of his tank when he gets home from school, but lately Kai is already asleep by then.
Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 3 month old and he is only at 39 grams and he is fat --- are you sure of age / and weight- 160 grams for a 3 1/2 month old is alot! And going to bed in the early afternoon does not seem right either --- in fact mine was running around his tank today at 3 --- so I am not sure what is up w/ that---
Karrie

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":36g9umpe said:
I have a 3 month old and he is only at 39 grams and he is fat --- are you sure of age / and weight- 160 grams for a 3 1/2 month old is alot! And going to bed in the early afternoon does not seem right either --- in fact mine was running around his tank today at 3 --- so I am not sure what is up w/ that---
Karrie

Yea he seems very big for his age! I got him the end of July, so the end of October I will have had him for 3 months. He was the smallest little baby at the pet store. We went in looking for the biggest one but little Kai was so lively we decided on him even though he was so small. I was guessing he was only a month or so old when we got him but he could be older than that.
But yea it's strange. Sometime he would go to bed before lights out but only by an hour or so, so I wasn't really worried, but going to bed at 3 pm is awfully early. He is literally growing like a weed, I know growth hormone hits during sleep, plus all that growing has to wear him out.
Do you think it would be ok to wake him up in the evening or would it be best to just let him sleep?

August 30th
105680-6933156168.jpg

September 30th
105680-5073687308.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, my 3 month olds are both near 150g too.

The only thing I can think of really - is it possible his sleep at night is getting disturbed? Lights, noises, etc.?

They go through phases though just like real kids and teenagers.. (and adults lol) so I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as he seems active and healthy.

What is your cool end temps? I've noticed that when my cool end gets a bit too hot that my dragons tend to just want to sleep during the day too.

-Brandon

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":9jnu8p5p said:
Yeah, my 3 month olds are both near 150g too.

The only thing I can think of really - is it possible his sleep at night is getting disturbed? Lights, noises, etc.?

They go through phases though just like real kids and teenagers.. (and adults lol) so I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as he seems active and healthy.

What is your cool end temps? I've noticed that when my cool end gets a bit too hot that my dragons tend to just want to sleep during the day too.

-Brandon

Definitely not being disturbed at night. He is in my room and I absolutely cannot sleep without complete darkness and silence lol. He seemed a bit slow to wake up this morning as well. Usually he will come out of his hide a few mins after I turn the lights on, but today it had been an hour and he was still in his hide, at that point I had to leave the house, but when I got back a couple hours later he was up and basking. Cool side temps are usually around 80, sometimes a bit lower. Hot side 90 with 110 basking area. Uvb t5 10 In hood with reflector.
I did recently cover up the side of his tank that faced a window, so he cannot see the sunlight anymore. I don’t know if that has something to do with it? I had to cover it because he was getting spooked by something outside.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I doubt that had anything to do with it.
It's most likely a phase. I think a lot of times we forget that just like us, they can go through weird periods too. And it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong! But it is a good reminder to us to double check and make sure everything is fine :)

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Linzloohoo":1wsy98mw said:
KarrieRee":1wsy98mw said:
Karrie

Yea he seems very big for his age! I got him the end of July, so the end of October I will have had him for 3 months. He was the smallest little baby at the pet store. We went in looking for the biggest one but little Kai was so lively we decided on him even though he was so small. I was guessing he was only a month or so old when we got him but he could be older than that.
But yea it's strange. Sometime he would go to bed before lights out but only by an hour or so, so I wasn't really worried, but going to bed at 3 pm is awfully early. He is literally growing like a weed, I know growth hormone hits during sleep, plus all that growing has to wear him out.
Do you think it would be ok to wake him up in the evening or would it be best to just let him sleep?

August 30th
105680-6933156168.jpg

September 30th
105680-5073687308.jpg

Beardie siesta … while he's sleeping he's growing.

All my skinks ( eastern bluetongues, eastern water skinks ) and my beardies all endulge in afternoon naps.

Often reappearing to check out the food dish, or watch us eat diner ( they love the smell of people food ) and watch the evening TV ( my wife has a fav soap ( Home and Away ) that she's been addicted to since the 90s.

My advise is go with the flow.
Keep on keeping detailed daily records of activity , feeding, pooing , etc and weigh weekly (regular as clockwork) , this will help you spot problems before they become serious.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Linzloohoo":1v8tfkep said:
Update
Kai will wake up for superworms. Of course lol.

Get a few nice big silkworms and see him go bananas for them , most bearded dragons can't get enough of the silkworms and literally hoover them down (barely touching the sides on the way down - all you see is a green stain or dribble on the lips and chin and big smile).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom