Am I 6 months too late to tame a mildly aggressive beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekels

I purchased him or her from a PetSmart and had no idea what I was getting into. I'm a first time reptile owner and I have developed a fear of picking this guy up because he got so big so fast (so it seems) and Everytime I open the top of his tank and reach in to clean up his poop he puffs out his beard and flattens his body. If I put my hand near him to attempt to pick him up he opens his mouth. (However he isn't afraid to eat out of my hand) He'll run all over his tank to get away. Sometimes he'll get really black. Otherwise, he appears completely content in there. A healthy size and color.

When he was a baby I was able to take him out and hold him. He would just lay in my hand or straddle my finger. I was able to do this for the first two months.

I really need to be able to take him out of his tank so I can bathe him. He has a vinyl tile bottom in his tank and he pooped yesterday and spazzdd out running and got it all over himself, his bottom, his tail, and me. He won't let me pick him up and to be honest I'm afraid hell bite me or jump out of my hands (he's done that before too). I don't want him to hurt himself or me. I've never been bitten and don't want to be.

Advice? I'm desperate to get him out of his tank. It's difficult because of the dimensions as well I have to open the top lid and reach down in there.. as compared to many thanks I've seen that have low front doors that open outward.

Thanks in advance!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Not too late to form a bond with this unfortunate dragon, but if you are not up to it, you will be kinder to give him/her up to a dragon rescue group who will rehabilitate it and rehome it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You will haft to keep working w/ him ---- if you haft to put a glove on and take him out that way for cleaning --- it would be best if you could get a tank that has front doors on it and in the long run it would be better for you and him -- eating out of your hand is a start -- I would put a piece of cloth or fleece in his hide to get him used to your smell --- approach from the side and not above when taking him out --- and since he is older I would recommend a glove --- until he gets used to your hand and its not going to hurt him ----he can probably draw blood --- it is easier when they are little
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Something I like to do is to take them out when they are sleepy. Right before bedtime but when they are already dozing off. They typically put up less of a fight that way. Then you can cuddle them into your lap or chest and hopefully get them to fall asleep on you. IMO this builds up the layers of trust really well.
I've never had a dragon that couldn't be tamed. Some took longer than others, but they all are capable IMO.

Just keep working with him and be confident. Jerky scared motions that you make when trying to handle him will just make him feel less comfortable too.

Different species but uros are known to be a bit hard to tame. I had my uro for 2 years before I started to try to work with her. In 6 months she was as sweet as any dragon I've ever had. Point is you just need to stay consistent and determined :)

-Brandon

Zekels

Original Poster
Thank you so much for each of your suggestions. I will try them all. When he jumps I do pull my hand away from him quick lol so I think the gloves are a great idea. I have some gardening gloves and will try to get over that initial fear. And get him used to my scent as well to help.

I don't want to give him up but I agree if I can't manage then I will have to do what's best for him.

Thanks again and any more suggestions I welcome

Zekels

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":q3nrpud2 said:
Not too late to form a bond with this unfortunate dragon, but if you are not up to it, you will be kinder to give him/her up to a dragon rescue group who will rehabilitate it and rehome it.

In regards to this, does anyone have information as to where I can rehome this little guy? Or where I can go to find good sources? I just started a new job and have a three year old. I'm beginning to realize he may not be the pet for me and I may not be the best owner for his happiness.

I know I can find something local but would prefer some reference sources from this site. I'm wary on giving him up to someone through Craigslist for example.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can get a hold of a rescue center in your area---- google rescue centers and make calls - they may be able to help you find someone --- sometimes the right people come along on craigslist and adopt bearded dragons - you can always screen the person who is interested ---get a back ground on the person and tell them you would like updates and pics on how hes doing etc................. maybe a reptile vet in your area might have some info on this ---- if you have a local mom and pops pet store -- some others can give ideas as well
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom