Pacing, scratching, and glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, meet Pancake. She's a sweet, chunky, lazy girl.

Lately, however, she's been not so lazy and acting kind of funny. Normally she just relaxes on her hammock or the basking platform but as of maybe 2 weeks ago she started pacing and scratching at the glass. Interestingly enough, she only does it when it's quiet and nobody is around (that she can see). Like in the morning when her lights come on and I'm still sleeping. Or later on in the day during nap time. I thought it would pass, but it hasn't.

She's been having healthy poops, smaller than usual though. I've felt her belly and it doesn't feel lumpy or like there's any eggs in there. She's been getting the same amount of greens and roaches as when she was acting more herself. Nothing I've been doing is any different than it was before.

She is currently being housed in a 55 gal tank (upgrade soon). The 'substrate' is ceramic tile. She has a Zoo Med T5 UVB bulb, mercury vapor bulb, low general humidity with regular mistings. View picture for her setup.

20191014_130205.jpg

I will be on vacation for 3 months starting in a little over a week from now. What can I do to remedy this before I go?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you tried taking her out of the enclosure and letting her run around in a safe area of the house to burn off some energy? It may just be an active phase and those tend to wear off on their own. It's possible she is carrying eggs that you aren't able to feel. Giving her time in a dig box wouldn't hurt. If she is showing signs of wanting to dig or burrow, adding something soft like fleece scraps or small fleece blankets to the bottom of the enclosure may be helpful. I've found that works well as a soft substrate substitute when using a tile floor.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I agree with Cooper.
You won't always feel eggs. Even vets miss them sometimes! Smaller poo's, glass surfing, and frantic behaviour are all signs of her being gravid. Of course it's not a guarantee, but like mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to provide her a lay box just to see what happens.

She could also just be hormonal and want to get out and burn off some energy. So those are the two things I would do in your situation. :)

-Brandon

Oxymiocysu

Original Poster
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions guys!

I'm really hoping she isn't carrying since I'll be away, but we'll see.

• What would you suggest putting in the dig box?
  • How long should I leave her in there for?
  • Should I just put it in her enclosure under supervision and remove when away?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oxymiocysu":3fb3xxsh said:
What would you suggest putting in the dig box?
How long should I leave her in there for?
Should I just put it in her enclosure under supervision and remove when away?

You can use warm damp sand, or mix in some topsoil with it as long as their are no chemicals and fertilizers in it. You want it to be able to hold it's shape so it can be dug into.

If your tank is big enough, I'd make the lay box inside the tank so she can stay in it and leave when she wants.

How is she doing today?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom