Possibility of too much calcium in Dinraal's diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

So I've been wondering recently; can Dinraal have too much calcium in his diet? Every day he gets dubia roaches and black soldier fly larvae as his sources of protein, and the fly larvae were reared on a diet of calcium-rich foods (Symton's BSFL) while I continue to lightly dust his roaches with the calcium powder before letting him stalk and eat them (which is hilarious to watch, let me tell you)

My question is should I continue to dust the roaches with calcium powder when he's getting calcium from his fly larvae? He doesn't eat the same amount of larvae day after day; sometimes he will eat 20, sometimes 30 and sometimes 5 so that's what I'm mainly concerned about.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can wind up providing more calcium than needed. Look for hard or discolored urate (it should be soft and fairly bright white in most cases) and adjust from there. Offering BSFL and dusted roaches is a good staple though, so I'd keep going with what you're doing if all looks well. As they get older, they will slowly transition to veges which you don't need to supplement. You'll have more opportunity for variety when salads are the main portion of the diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom