Are these UVB lamps suitable for my bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I'd go with the Arcadia instead since I'm assuming you're in the UK based off the link.

The bulb you linked to really hasn't been tested that I can find. Plus it doesnt appear that they give any output levels or distance recommendations which is a red flag to me. I'd stick to what we know works, and that's the Arcadia tubes. Or the reptisun tubes if you can get them on that side of the pond.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree w/ Brandon --- we would go w/ what we know works and if they arent giving distance then that would be a red flag to me as well
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
RED FLAGS
* T8 tubes .
* No distance to basking spot guidance or information on microW UVB / sqcm , mW UVA / sq.cm or UV-Index over distance.
* No indication of the UV spectral output.

I'd not use them at all in any reptile tank for ANY SPECIES reptile.

No - NOT SUITABLE and likely a dodgy brand and dodgy tubes with poor UV spectrum.

Stick with Arcadia Reptile T8 or T5ho, Zoo Med T8 or T5ho , or Exo Terra 26W UVB200 compacts or T8.

Their https://www.aquariumsystems.fr/en/terrario-en/lighting/t5-d3-reptile-lamp/ 12% tubes might be OK if they are simply a rebranded Arcadia tube. (I'd check to see where they are manufactured if it's china or not in the EU, don't use them .)

wimtom

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. I'm going to be upgrading my bearded dragons take within a month or two and I have already got a UVB setup for it from Arcadia. I purchased this one because it was the only one the store had at the time, unfortunately the new Arcadia system doesn't fit in his old tank so this will have to do until he gets upgraded. I have contacted the company for more information on the bulb and even linked to this post to see if they had any response about the quality of their product.

wimtom

Original Poster
Would just like to update everyone, the lamp arrived. It's made in Europe and has marking very similar to Arcadia bulbs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
wimtom":1f8uzn4m said:
Would just like to update everyone, the lamp arrived. It's made in Europe and has marking very similar to Arcadia bulbs.

That's encouraging. Have you heard back from the manufacturer yet? As mentioned, it would be helpful to have access to their test results regarding UVB output in order to place the bulb at the proper distance. Assuming you have the 10% version, not the 5% version, I would set it at about 15-20cm above the main basking area until you have further information about the bulb. This is usually a good range with the T8s.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Please do let us know if you hear back. It's always good to have information on these types of things :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom