Lighting question

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Lighting question

Postby 2damngood2b4gotten » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Is it safe to use 125 watt heat lamp for a bearded dragon?
2damngood2b4gotten
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Lighting question

Postby Gormagon » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:20 pm

That's a little to hot. I heat my viv with a shingle 75w basking bulb from exoterra and, it's 2x2x4.
Last edited by Gormagon on Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby claudiusx » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:22 pm

Moved by Moderator from General to Enclosures
claudiusx

Postby claudiusx » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Hi there,

Any wattage is "safe" as long as it's not higher than what your fixture is rated for and as long as it gives you the temps you need. I use 40w bulbs in my tanks. others have to use 100w or 150w. It depends on your environment and the bulb type really. You'll just have to see if it works for you.

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby Gormagon » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:32 pm

125 watt heat lamp
These are normally red and get extremely hot. Colored lights "of any color" should never be used for dragons. It confuses them as it distorts their vision.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:22 am

It is trial and error w/ heat lamps- like Brandon said he can use a lower wattage on his tanks where as mine I have to use a Exo Terra 150 watt--- it depends on the environment that your in --- what size is your tank? And what is it made out of? Is the tank in a cold room or a warm room --- all those things play in--- and please no colored heat bulbs-- a bright white basking bulb
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures