Basking temp?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Basking temp?

Postby MaxxAMouse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:20 pm

It’s getting colder here, and my beardies cage wasn’t getting hot enough. So I built him a platform with a ramp so he can bask closer to the lights. The platform is about 5” from the light, and the hottest temp is 114°F. Is this too hot? She’s in a 55 gallon so she has a very large temperature gradient ranging from 70 to the 114. Next to the 114 it is 109, and then keeps going down from there. I just want to make sure that 114 isn’t too hot for her? She’s full grown and around 4 years old
MaxxAMouse
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Basking temp?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Its good that she has the option of the different gradients -- she will pick where she wants to sit --- as long as she cant touch the bulb shes good - the 70 is the cool side? If so it should be around 80's during the day and not below 60 at nite
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby MaxxAMouse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:03 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Its good that she has the option of the different gradients -- she will pick where she wants to sit --- as long as she cant touch the bulb shes good - the 70 is the cool side? If so it should be around 80's during the day and not below 60 at nite
Karrie


I put a lid so she can’t touch the bulb (usually that side doesn’t have a lid but I was worried she’d jump out)

I also forgot to mention I have yet to set up her CHE on the cool side, which usually gets it up to 80, sorry! I just have to get another fixture since my previous fixture for it broke today moving everything around
MaxxAMouse
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:21 pm

So your using a che to get the cool side to 80? How big is your tank?
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby MaxxAMouse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:50 pm

KarrieRee wrote:So your using a che to get the cool side to 80? How big is your tank?
Karrie


55g. It’s VERY tall. That’s why I built him the platform today, the heat just wasn’t getting to the bottom. House is set at 70°F (that’s with heat on at this time of the year)
MaxxAMouse
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:57 pm

What is the wattage for basking bulb?
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby MaxxAMouse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:12 pm

KarrieRee wrote:What is the wattage for basking bulb?
Karrie


100w halogen light bulb

The CHE is 150w
MaxxAMouse
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:21 pm

Ok so if you up the basking to 150 and che to 100 it might warm tank up more ----- you would haft to lower basking shelf------ or you can insulate the back of tank and sides --- the outside of tank using styrofoam or blanket or towels -- something to keep heat in --- is your tank glass?
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Basking temp?

Postby MaxxAMouse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:03 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Ok so if you up the basking to 150 and che to 100 it might warm tank up more ----- you would haft to lower basking shelf------ or you can insulate the back of tank and sides --- the outside of tank using styrofoam or blanket or towels -- something to keep heat in --- is your tank glass?
Karrie


Wouldn’t upping the wattage of the basking bulb make the basking temp hotter? The reason I made the post was to make sure it wasn’t too hot. The tank is glass, but with the CHE and basking, it’s hot enough, just maybe too hot on the basking shelf, which is what I was asking about on the post.
MaxxAMouse
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Ok yes it will -- I thought you were having issues getting tank warmer all together-- your good then if your dragon has different basking temps+- --and that was what you wanted -- you want your cool side at nite around 70 or so and not below 60 --
Karrie-
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby MaxxAMouse » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:10 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Ok yes it will -- I thought you were having issues getting tank warmer all together-- your good then if your dragon has different basking temps+- --and that was what you wanted -- you want your cool side at nite around 70 or so and not below 60 --
Karrie-


Yeah I just wanted to make sure that 114 wasn’t too hot. My cool side is fine, it’s always above 70 but usually around 75-80 with the CHE, never had an issue otherwise. Thank you for the help!
MaxxAMouse
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:15 pm

If you can lower the spot so it's not 114 at top I would I am sure he won't sit there for long but if he's got other spots to sit that is good too- I would get it down to 110 at most if you can
You are taking temps w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun?
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby MaxxAMouse » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 am

KarrieRee wrote:If you can lower the spot so it's not 114 at top I would I am sure he won't sit there for long but if he's got other spots to sit that is good too- I would get it down to 110 at most if you can
You are taking temps w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun?
Karrie


I’m not sure I’m going to change it,, she’s been sitting in the hottest spot all day, so I guess she likes it?

I am taking the temps with a heat gun
MaxxAMouse
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:52 am

I apologize I was tired last nite and did not answer the question about it being too hot --- we normally say basking temps should be 95-105-110 for adults -- but is shes liking the warmer temps bless her heart--- just watch her behavior and see what she does --- you can always lower it if shes not liking it --
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Basking temp?

Postby MaxxAMouse » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:04 pm

KarrieRee wrote:I apologize I was tired last nite and did not answer the question about it being too hot --- we normally say basking temps should be 95-105-110 for adults -- but is shes liking the warmer temps bless her heart--- just watch her behavior and see what she does --- you can always lower it if shes not liking it --
Karrie


No worries haha, I think I’m just going to see what she does and how she likes it.

Image

She seems to be enjoying it right now
MaxxAMouse
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Enclosures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users