Respiratory infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamiSami

I use to rescue bearded dragons, but as time went on I had to stop because situations change and I don't have the money for the constant vet visits. This has left me with three bearded dragons, 2 of which are healthy and well fed and housed. One of them though, was a difficult case. When I first got her she seemed to go in and out of sick phases. For as long as I could I kept bringing her back and forth to the vet. On two different occasions I needed to bring her in every three days(10 times) for injections because of... Something? And at the end of each session they'd say she's fine. In total she's been to the vet around 26 times) I went as far as putting off college so I could afford to do this. Now I think she has some form of respiratory infection. Reason being she'd have episodes where she'd breathe heavily and hack(like these loud wet gasps/coughs) and I just can't scrounge up the money to cover any form of vet costs. When I made a post in another reptile forum they said I should give her to someone who can afford to take care of her vet visits(and as much as it'd pain me to lose her, I agree) but I haven't been able to find anyone willing to take her. I try to be fully honest about her medical history so they'd know what they're getting into and sadly(but understandably) no one wants that kind of responsibility.
This has been going on for about half a year and aside from the hacking once in a while she seems okay. She's active and a good eater. My question is; is there anything I can do outside of a vet visit that would help her with this possible respiratory infection.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
When you your pics come up click on it w/ message box up they should post in message
Karrie

hmwyer

I have been going through the exact same thing myself, but it's been on and off for 6 years and 4 different vets. All of which either say she's fine when she clearly isn't or just give me random meds to appease me. I've tried nebulizing with tylan 200 and it seemed to help, until it came back last week. So off to the vet I go again! Hopefully tomorrow! This is a newer vet who hasn't really seen her in a bad respiratory state yet. Sp hopefully he will do something....anyways, to insert and image....if you have uploaded them via the upload manager then you need to relly to the post and st the top of the screen you click on the button that says "ximg" and it will bring up your uploads. You just click each picture one at time to insert it. You can preview the message before posting to be sure it went through alright. Took me FOREVER to figure this out, so hopefully it helps! I will follow this thread and keep you posted if I find out anything useful that may help you too. I'm no expert compared to everyone else on here by any means, but if my Spyro is suddenly cured by something after all these years, I will for sure share that with everyone. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is having some trouble. It makes it really difficult when they have had
health issues for long periods of time.
What type of treatments have you tried so far?
We usually recommend keeping a dragon suspect of a respiratory infection warmer at night
so try using a ceramic heat emitter to keep the temps around 78-80 or so overnight. I would
also try increasing the basking temperatures to an optimal range if you haven't already. She
has been to the vets 26 times?
What is the humidity level in her tank?
What type of supplementation do you give her?
Post some pictures of her along with the setup for us too if you can.

Tracie

KamiSami

Original Poster
KarrieRee":35ryefj5 said:
When you your pics come up click on it w/ message box up they should post in message
Karrie
I have no idea what you mean, this site is so confusing

KamiSami

Original Poster
Drache613":mg70nuxp said:
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon is having some trouble. It makes it really difficult when they have had
health issues for long periods of time.
What type of treatments have you tried so far?
We usually recommend keeping a dragon suspect of a respiratory infection warmer at night
so try using a ceramic heat emitter to keep the temps around 78-80 or so overnight. I would
also try increasing the basking temperatures to an optimal range if you haven't already. She
has been to the vets 26 times?
What is the humidity level in her tank?
What type of supplementation do you give her?
Post some pictures of her along with the setup for us too if you can.

Tracie

I haven't tried anything so far. Before this site the only place I looked to for help was a reptile group and the only helpful thing they said was to give her away.
Keep the tank hotter at night? I can do that. And around 26,she saw them 6 individual times and then had to see them 10 times every 3 days on two different occasions for some sort of injection or vaccine. Temps fluctuate around 108 during the summer it was tethering at 115. No supplements. And I've been trying to figure out how to post pictures for the longest.
I hope this works
93158-7317723599.jpg
93158-5578525397.jpg

KamiSami

Original Poster
hmwyer":2nmj25nv said:
I have been going through the exact same thing myself, but it's been on and off for 6 years and 4 different vets. All of which either say she's fine when she clearly isn't or just give me random meds to appease me. I've tried nebulizing with tylan 200 and it seemed to help, until it came back last week. So off to the vet I go again! Hopefully tomorrow! This is a newer vet who hasn't really seen her in a bad respiratory state yet. Sp hopefully he will do something....anyways, to insert and image....if you have uploaded them via the upload manager then you need to relly to the post and st the top of the screen you click on the button that says "ximg" and it will bring up your uploads. You just click each picture one at time to insert it. You can preview the message before posting to be sure it went through alright. Took me FOREVER to figure this out, so hopefully it helps! I will follow this thread and keep you posted if I find out anything useful that may help you too. I'm no expert compared to everyone else on here by any means, but if my Spyro is suddenly cured by something after all these years, I will for sure share that with everyone. :)

Thank you, I'd appreciate that so very much

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Repti-Sun 10 UVB Bulb? Is it the T5 or a T 8? If its the T 5 its fine on top of screen if its the T8 it should be inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking area --- is the cover off the bulb meaning is it exposed?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
causes for RI---
Respiratory Infection Cause
Respiratory infections in bearded dragons occur if their environment is too cold, too humid or badly ventilated. Also, stress, bad diet, and overcrowding can also lead to respiratory disease.
Check to see if your tank has any of this going on----
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing this evening? She looks to be of good physical condition.
Did she eat anything for you today?
I hope she starts to feel better. Were you able to keep her tank around 80 overnight?
Let us know how she is doing, we are all pulling for her.

Tracie

KamiSami

Original Poster
KarrieRee":71cs665s said:
causes for RI---
Respiratory Infection Cause
Respiratory infections in bearded dragons occur if their environment is too cold, too humid or badly ventilated. Also, stress, bad diet, and overcrowding can also lead to respiratory disease.
Check to see if your tank has any of this going on----
Karrie
I asked the vet about her enclosure and they say it's fine. Her enclosure is basically the same as all the others minus peraonalized decor.

KamiSami

Original Poster
Drache613":btiu01wc said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing this evening? She looks to be of good physical condition.
Did she eat anything for you today?
I hope she starts to feel better. Were you able to keep her tank around 80 overnight?
Let us know how she is doing, we are all pulling for her.

Tracie

I really don't think it's the set up because she basically has the same as all the others and they're fine. Still I tried using the ceramic heat bulb I already had for a few days before it stopped working and it'll be a while before I can afford another one. She eats well and sleep well, she seems healthy outside of those hacking fits she has every once in a while. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom