A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":2lakxx06 said:
opaquelace":2lakxx06 said:
I did go to petco today to see what they had and how big the baby dragons are and they’re TINY. So I’d probably look into getting an adult.

That's a really great idea. Granted, breeder babies are usually sold when they're "well started" and eating regularly, and are bigger than the Petco dragons (which are remarkably tiny; I get nervous just looking at them - though I got my Figment from a Petco and he was already about 9" long, so older dragons can be found there), but there are definite plusses to getting a young adult right off the bat, if the breeder has a few holdbacks. Not having to feed it 2-3x daily is a big one, knowing what color you've got, knowing the personality, and having a dragon who's probably out of the "EEEK! Big things gonna eat me!" phase when you want to hold it is definitely a benefit. :)
There's one I'd buy tomorrow from draggintails if this wasn't going to be a Santa present. She's 16 inches long and 8 months old. Maybe if she has some older ones closer to the holidays. I'm fairly sure she's the breeder I plan to go with. We got an older puppy from a rescue when we got a dog for the same reason, less maintenance right off the bat lol. I know my limits. I'd love to get a dragon and like previous poster said put a picture of purchased dragon in the enclosure along with some dragon accessories like a leash and a sweater and some books on keeping them since both my kids love to read and research stuff (they got it from me obviously lol since we're 3 months out from the holidays and I've been researching thoroughly).

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
LavenderFleur":1mtfg6nn said:
Highly recommend Zen Habitats. I've had my beardie in one since December, and just got a new one for my blue tongue skink today. Great quality and you can't beat them for the price.

Posting an update because I actually found someone in my area who makes custom enclosures for reptiles out of wood and glass. He uses maple which is a reptile safe wood, and seals the inside with boat varnish. He can make one for me for about half the price of the Zen Habitats, and then dealing with someone local is always a plus. He even makes them lockable with jewelry case locks.
69513032_114509839925789_4225825933216448512_n.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It looks nice but it is not very high--- how tall is it?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It does look very nice!

I build tanks also, I like that design. What did he use for the side?
Would love more pics of the tank if you dont mind.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":g2t6z2ng said:
It looks nice but it is not very high--- how tall is it?
Karrie

That’s not mine, just one he made. That I believe is a ball python enclosure he did. The dimensions I’ll have him do are 48w 18d and 20-24high. Do you think higher would be better? I was thinking so since the lights would all be mounted inside. So roughly the size of the zen habitat but not as deep so it can fit on the stand I have. I’m still talking to him about size, light mounting, and stuff. That’s the style I like from him because it looks like a piece of furniture and since the dragon will be in the den I’d like the enclosure to blend in nicely.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I wouldnt go much higher-- they need the floor space from what I am told--- so you decide but I think the 24" is good --
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1z25yaz9 said:
I wouldnt go much higher-- they need the floor space from what I am told--- so you decide but I think the 24" is good --
Karrie

K. Yea I want to make sure there’s enough room with the lights being in the tank and such. I want some wiggle room to adjust basking spot and everything. Here’s a link to all his stuff. He seems to do it for fun in his spare time.
https://www.facebook.com/MCA-Custom-Enclosures-Racks-106855414024565/

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, the new hab looks great! Or, rather, the style looks great, since that's not your exact hab. 48x18x24 sounds grand, to my way of thinking. What did you decide on for the decor? I was really interested in your Area 51 theme!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":20x92gqn said:
Wow, the new hab looks great! Or, rather, the style looks great, since that's not your exact hab. 48x18x24 sounds grand, to my way of thinking. What did you decide on for the decor? I was really interested in your Area 51 theme!
My husband thought it was cheesy lol. But it’s a desert reptile and it’s for our kids I’m willing to sacrifice our elegant house (sarcasm there) for something fun for the kids. If I had said Star Wars theme he’d have been all over it ?

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Operation Christmas Dragon drop is in full swing. Ordered the light fixtures so I can give them to the custom enclosure guy so he can mount them inside the enclosure. Going pick up the tiles for the bottoms and the cork background for the sides later next week. I’m going to have to find a way to breed Dubia roaches in secret lol so we have them for the arrival of the baby after Christmas. Also getting my kids dragon themed shirts and toys and getting them each a carrier for their chests/shoulders.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3lkf0tek said:
That is so awesome. I bet your kids are going to be over joyed :)

-Brandon

They will be! I’ll be honest this mainly came about because I’m tired of buying toys and my kids have so many they play with they don’t need a bunch more. But I must say I’m pretty excited too lol.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So change of plans, we are now getting TWO beardeds instead of just one. I kept going back and forth, thinking my kids didn't need two, but they are twins so sometimes being treated as a single unit is frustrating, and I think them each having their own animal will be fun and a good experience for them. I sketched out the enclosure. It will be on wheels one enclosure on top of the other.

72687446_10104123186184110_2029741418842423296_n.jpg

I've ordered everything for the enclosures, and the vitamins. Only things needed are the actual animals and the completed enclosures, and their live food. I've still got more research to do on how to keep dubias and crickets, etc.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Dubias are the easiest --- just get a 10 gallon aquarium and add the egg cartons and roaches along w/ a little dish of dubia food and carrots for hydration and you are good to go --- if your just feeding as a feeder and not breeding them or starting a colony --- if your starting a colony I dont know if there is a certain way or not --- I never did I just did feeding and still am doing feeding --- they are the easiest and as for crickets I dont mess w/ them --- to stinky and loud
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1vf778rq said:
Dubias are the easiest --- just get a 10 gallon aquarium and add the egg cartons and roaches along w/ a little dish of dubia food and carrots for hydration and you are good to go --- if your just feeding as a feeder and not breeding them or starting a colony --- if your starting a colony I dont know if there is a certain way or not --- I never did I just did feeding and still am doing feeding --- they are the easiest and as for crickets I dont mess w/ them --- to stinky and loud
Karrie

Ah ok good to know! Dubias it is then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom